Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mystic47

Germany Porcelain with the name * & Jake

mystic47
13 years ago

Hi,

I was just at a neighbor's house and she showed me an unusual porcelain serving piece. It has a lobster as the handle - the bottom had a crown and Germany and the name was partially worn off but it was _________ & Jake.

She was interested in knowing about the piece she inherited from her aunt. I did a search on Germany marks and crowns and couldn't find anything with the word Jake in it. Jake was clear but can't make out the first name. It was also numbered 84/7006 /6901.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to start looking. She is not interested in the value, more the history.

Thanks

Pat

Comments (14)

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

If you google "lobster handle porcelain" you get quite a few hits. Joseph Sachactel is the most usual manufacturer.
    I've linked to the images page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images

• lindac
    13 years ago

sounds like it may be Royal Beyreuth to me.
    A picture would help a lot.
    Linda C

• mystic47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I will try to get a photo if she is home later. From memory the dish looks similiar to the 3rd photo in the pics but I am confused with the * & Jake.

I am running out now, if she is home later I will get a pic.
    Thanks so much
    Pat

• mystic47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Got the photo but the back didn't come out well. On closer look it appears to be Royal Jake..below that is the crown and there is a K on the left of the Crown and an S on the right. Under the crown is Germany. Of course, now that I took pics she is also interested in the value:)
    {{gwi:1389978}}

Thanks for your help
    Pat

• lindac
    13 years ago

Very different than I imagined!!
    Can you get a better picture of the back stamp? The flowers on the front are clear as a bell but I can't see a thing on the back.
    Linda C

• mystic47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I should have used a macro for the back. I was in a hurry and they are out for the night. I am going away for a month on Monday, I will try to take a pic before I leave.
    Thanks for your help
    Pat

• mystic47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, I should start a new thread and get my eyeglass prescription checked. Nothing to do with Jake. It's Royal Saxe and the initials are E and S next to the crown.
    Hope this helps and thanks in advance
    Pat
    {{gwi:1389980}}

• calliope
    13 years ago

That word is not Jake. It says Royal Saxe. Probably made in the state of Saxony.

• calliope
    13 years ago

Yep, I'm right. The manufacturer is Royal Saxe and they are pretty well known and you can find examples of it all over the web.

• mystic47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks calliope, I realized it was Royal Saxe when I took the macro of the shot (that's why I said I should change the thread):)
    The E S looks like it stands for Ehrhard Schlegelmilch - but I can't find a date or value. Any ideas - thanks.
    Pat

• calliope
    13 years ago

LOL........I saw the pic, got so excited when the lettering was visible and posted without reading what you wrote. My bad. Actually sometimes the pictures work out better than even looking at it in person, because you can edit it and sharpen it and change exposure. When I can't make out the writing on gravestones when photographing them for genealogical research, sometimes I can get enough resolution that way to read it. I don't touch gravestones, nor do all the stuff somepeople do like shaving cream or rubbings, because it can further degrade the material.

• mystic47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not "your bad" appreciate the help
    Pat

• lindac
    13 years ago

Schleiglemilch...the family was big in German Porcelain. Sometimes it was in Prussia, sometimes in Austria and obviously in Saxony.
    There was Reinhardt of R.S. Prussia Fame and Erhardt...and maybe others, I don't remember.
    Google "r. S' Germany" and see what you find.
    Linda C

• mystic47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I did find out that Erhard was the son of Reinhold Schleiglemilch and he opened his own factory in Suhl, Germany. His father founded the original factory in the 1800's. I found that most of his (Erhard's) pieces that were exported to the United States bore the initials of his father R.S. Prussia stamped in Red.
    Not much on the Green stamp with the E.S. initials.
    There was also a son Arnold and he produced until World war two! Like his ambitious kids:)
    Thanks
    Pat