Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcia_thornley

Grandma's old lamp

Marcia Thornley
17 years ago

Can anyone give me any info about this old lamp. It was my Grandmothers and now mine. I just saw one in an antigue store on the weekend and they had it priced at $850.00 I just about fell over. Before I go back and ask about it I thought I'd see what I could find out on my own.

It still works great. Gives off a soft orangey glow when lit.

It is dirty but I'm afraid to clean it now!

Comments (19)

• lindac
    17 years ago

I don't know a lot....but how about a few educated guesses?
    Period would be art deco...likely 1910 to maybe 1925 or 30....base is probably bronze as is the metal part of the shade....the glass is slag glass. There probably is a famous maker associated with it, but i don't know that name...
    The base might also be painted brass....
    It's wonderful!!
    Do a google search for Art deco lamps and follow your nose. Might also help to do a google images search and when you find something similar follow the lead.
    Clean it with a very soft brush!!...like those brushes they sell to clean mushrooms.
    Linda C

• Marcia Thornley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Linda. You've given me a place to start looking.

• Marcia Thornley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, I just looked long and hard on the underside of the base and this is what I can make out. There is a mark that looks like a sailing ship , the word SALE is on the sail and also a number 5 off to one side. The rest is too difficult for these old eyes to make out.

• Marcia Thornley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It says Sale Bros. Anyone recognize this?

• lydia1959
    17 years ago

The link below has a sales brothers lamp in it. Looks like they are quite valuable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sale Brothers Lamp

• lindac
    17 years ago

He he!! Didn't know the name! But I knew it was a goodie!
    I would guess you have yourself a $1500 lamp there!
    Linda C

• Marcia Thornley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Found it!!!
    Here is a link

Here is a link that might be useful: Salem Bros. Boudoir Table Lamp

• lindac
    17 years ago

Now I am puzzled.....sure looks like the same lamp to me.....but Salem Brothers? Not Sale brothers? And from what I have seen, the $600 doesn't seem like much to be asking.
    I would email the owners and ask them if you could send them your picture of your lamp and what they knew about Sale Brothers Vs, Salem brothers.
    Someone owns the patent on the design on that lamp....and whas it sold by Sale to Salem? Or the other way around? or is there another maker of that design out there?
    ! Linda C

• lydia1959
    17 years ago

The marks are different. I couldn't find any connection between the 2 companies. Maybe the seller read it wrong?

In the link is another Sales Bros. lamp with the mark pictured.

Here is the Salem Bros. mark from an eBay auction.
    http://i9.ebayimg.com/06/i/07/e9/62/6c_1.JPG

Here is a link that might be useful: Sales Bro. Lamp

• lindac
    17 years ago

I couldn't either and could find no history on Salem....but did find some on Sales....and I founds everal lamps by both....and pictures of the marks of both....and theya re different enough that you wouldn't mistake one for the other.
    But....those 2 lamps came from the same mold...I will bet!
    Linda C

• Marcia Thornley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It is the same mark. It say Sale Bros. but in between the two words is an M if you look very closely. Hence Salem I think.

• lindac
    17 years ago

Some place on the web last night I found a picture of the Salem Bros. mark....it is NOT even similar to the Sale Brothers mark...
    Pleeeease don't make me go look for it again!!! LOL!
    Really! They are different.
    Linda

• lydia1959
    17 years ago

They are different Mush. Look at the link and the URL in my last posting. The Sale mark has the sailboat in the circle, the Salem mark is just lettering.

• gpenders_hickorytech_net
    15 years ago

We have a large table lamp with the Sale Bros mark and the number 1 on the bottom.(I think this refers to style of base). I don't find many sale Bros. as I'm researching. An appraiser explained that the shades are hand carved, not made by mold. I found one like ours @ Ruby Lane.com/all lamps/ page 3. The description says it's a Miller and the base shows this, however the shade is almost identical to ours, just some of the fine detailing is different. Maybe base was switched? I know that ours is all original. Purchased in the 20's for around $5. An appraiser who looked at it several years ago said that thir are lots of Tiffany's around. Because they were more expensive, people held on to them. The cheap ones got lost or tossed. You have a treasure! I'm still sarcing for ino on Sale Bros. Company.

• gpenders_hickorytech_net
    15 years ago

I re-checked the lamp @ rubylane.com. Search Edward Miller. The lamp is priced @ $1750. The shade is open @ the top and should have a piece at the top with a finial that attaches it to the base-something missing there. Wonder what the price would be if it were all original?

• coachtiner_aol_com
    13 years ago

Did you finally get an answer on the lamp. I have a slag glass lamp that is also identified with the same stamp on the bottom. The ship in a circle and a number 3, Sale Bros. I cant't find out anything about it's maker or value. Please let me know what you have found out.

• Jan Weber
    7 years ago

When my Aunt left France in 1912 she brought a lamp that has the marking M Bros on it. Been searching for years for info on M Bros with no luck. It's very similar to the Sale Bros lamps on ebay and wondering if they're one and the same company.

• dandyrandylou
    7 years ago

My two cents is worth absolutely nothing - except to say it is a gorgeous lamp! Enjoy.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

This thread is 10 years old. I would suggest posting a picture in a new thread to find out info.