Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kalaga - Burmese embroidered tapestry

Posted by DistantView (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 21:34

The embroidered tapestry pictured in the attachment came down to my wife from her late mother, who purchased it during one of her overseas trips - probably 20-25 years back. Although we don't know very much about this piece, we have done enough research to determine that it is a Kalaga - a Burmese embroidered tapestry. The item is framed and is 60" x 60" in size. This item is located in Atlanta, GA.

We are moving across the country in a few months and do not think we want to transport this piece with us. We have three questions that we hope this forum can help us answer:

a) Can anyone tell us more about this piece -- or where we might go to learn more on our own?
b) What would be the best way to determine this particular item's value?
c) What would be the best way to sell this item locally once we have established an approximate value?

I will say that we've already examined the offerings of Kalagas on eBay and have visited such websites as http://www.tapestrypalace.com/ That research was somewhat interesting, but not altogether helpful. Our piece is considerably larger than the tapestries presented on those sites and it's particularly difficult to make a meaningful comparison of age, materials, condition and workmanship when simply looking at pictures on the internet.

I suppose what I really need to do is find a local expert who can view this piece directly and render an informed opinion on those aspects of the piece. Unfortunately, despite a diligent effort, I have not been able to locate such an expert here in our community. If the above questions cannot be answered here, I was hoping, perhaps, that someone on this forum might be able to provide a specific reference.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kalaga - Burmese embroidered tapestry

Here's a site with some for sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: All Kalagas: List View

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here