Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can someone help me, please?

Posted by lilynluv (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 11 at 21:11

Hi! My name is Susan. I am from Alabama and currently a stay at home mommy to my 2yo old daughter and housewiving for a living after recently unexpectedly lost my job. I absolutely love it but, now My husband and I have a much tighter budget. We have recently started going to yard sales & flea markets with the hopes of finding great deals to hopefully resale and make extra $$$. I have found lots of unique stuff however, I don't know much about some of my finds. I am hoping that maybe someone would know of a forum, message board, or website that will let me post pics of my finds and hopefully other traesure hunters will help me learn the things I don't know. I would love to be able to share my knowledge with others while they helped me. If anybody can help, repost. Thanks everyone for all your help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can someone help me, please?

Before you buy, educate your eye. Spend time reading as many books about antiques and collectibles as you can get from your local library.

Learn which materials were used at what periods, when the revivals of styles were.

Visit museums and historic houses and look at as much authentic stuff as you can. Go to high-end antiques shops and fondle the merchandise, look at the proportions, look at the construction methods.

I have made some amazing finds, but only because I took the time to learn the basics.

o

I don't know why you can't post pics of some of your finds right here. A lot of people do so when they don't know what they have. This isn't a forum to sell or to appraise, but there's a wealth of information here for antiques and "collectibles". Why don't you build your own website to post pics, discuss and offer items for sell. I might be one of your first bloggers. I don't do ebay and I find it very frustrating to navigate around some of the websites that offer the same service you suggest.

o

Thanks for both of your feedback. I am new to this forum but will definitly start posting pics. Thanks again for your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here