Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alhsogc

Need info on tea sets...can you help?

ALHSOGC
12 years ago

Hey all-

I'm a noob here. I teach chemistry and last year started an organic gardening club at my school so I thought this site would come in handy. I do have a non-gardening question for you today though.

I bought two tea sets yesterday at an auction and multiple searches on google haven't turned up much info other than about the markings. I am going to let the photos speak for themselves. I would appreciate any and all info you can give me. I don't know much about tea sets so I appreciate any specifics or detail you can give.

I look forward to your replies.

Warmest Regards...

From August 28, 2011
From August 28, 2011

Comments (18)

• lindac
    12 years ago

the pictures are small and can't be enlarged....and seeing the markings would help.
    From the limited view I have of the first it looks like geisha ware....the second perhaps Czech??
    Better pictures would get you more info.

• ALHSOGC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize it wasn't allowing for enlargements. Maybe this will help:

From
    From

Thanks again and I look forward to the responses...

Warmest Regards

• lindac
    12 years ago

Both have the mark for "Nippon" used in the first half of the 20th century....top one ie Geisha ware and the bottom is..1000 face? or maybe it's hundred face.....LOL! maybe million face! Same approximate period.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Geisha ware

• ALHSOGC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Fantastic! I loved the patterns on them esp. the '1000 face.' I appreciate your info. Are these types fairly common? I guess that just because I thought they were unusual doesn't mean that they are...

Thanks again for your help. If anyone else wants to chime in please do!

Warmest Regards

Jason

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

Jason -
    It was a very popular import china.

My grandmothers both had tea or dessert sets in various oriental patterns. I've seen Geisha before, but not the 100 or 1000 Faces pattern (there is a variant of that I found on the web.)

Here is a link that might be useful: 1000 faces cup

• ALHSOGC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Very cool! The set I bought also has the pattern repeated on the inside of the cups. Maybe I'll post a pic of the whole set for fun...

The gentleman I got them from was originally from Germany. His grandparents had gone to China in the early part of the 20th century (1905-ish) and returned with different 'treasures' they had found. It wasn't mentioned if the sets came came back with them on that trip or not. They are neat to look at. The tough choice is deciding if I can keep them or not!

• annie1971
    12 years ago

Love the Geisha pattern. I have a couple of 1000 faces, but the marks are different (there's probably 1000 different 1000 faces out there). There's a lot of info on the internet about your pattern. Some of the 1000 faces are quite old, your pattern -- not so much, but fascinating to me just the same. Being a cup collector, I would love to see pics of the whole set, just for fun.
    There was a thread a few months ago where someone gave an interesting definition/description of 1000 faces. If you search back you might find it.
    Annie

• ALHSOGC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For Annie:

From August 28, 2011

• lindac
    12 years ago

....sigh......envy......lust......
    But I believe it's a coffee set!

• annie1971
    12 years ago

I think you MUST keep it (or contact me!). Definitely looks like a coffee set, which seems unusual to me for the time period, but if it's an import set, catering to Western traditions, that would make sense. I would be interested in what other, more knowledgeable, people have to say. I haven't ever seen a complete set in such good condition. Lovely!
    Annie

• ALHSOGC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A coffee set? Seriously? I would have never guessed that. What makes you think that it is a coffee set? Is there something about the style or shape? I'm learning so much here! Thanks for all of the great info! I too would be interested in anything anyone else has to offer.
    Warmest Regards
    J-

• lindac
    12 years ago

....sigh......envy......lust......
    But I believe it's a coffee set!

• lindac
    12 years ago

How did that post twice??/
    Coffee because of the shape of the pot and because there is a cream and sugar.

• ALHSOGC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow...ok. How does that affect collect-ability? I would think that someone would rather have a tea set than a coffee set...especially if you're talking about collectibles from the far east. I don't readily associate coffee with the far east. I usually think tea...

Thanks again for the info.

J-

• lindac
    12 years ago

Don't think it affects collectability at all. It was made tof export....the western world drinks coffee, with cream and sugar....so that's what was made.
    Linda C

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

My Nippon Porcelain Collector's Encyclopedia, 3rd ed. by Joan F. Van Patten shows a tea set page248 with similar pot,creamer & sugar. There are no coffee sets in the book. They call this set a Demitasse set (thought that was coffee but is listed as tea set in index.) But the cups are shaped more like mugs with thin handles. Pot has stretched out spout like yours & handle is same as yours. This set has green mark #47 priced at $175 to $250 in 1986. Can't figure out year by mark tho It was 1 of the wreaths in green if in order in book 1 near it says 1912, another on same page says 1913.???? so may or may not help!

• ALHSOGC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sunnyca;

Thanks for that follow up! Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to sell the set so the info on price helps. I'm going to have to find an appraiser in my area that can shed some light on it though...thanks again!

Jason

• lindac
    12 years ago

Demi tasse is coffee....the terminology determined by the size of the cup.
    the Japanese never serve cream or milk and sugar with tea...Westerners often serve both with tea and coffee.

My daughter has a silver "coffee service" on her sideboard. It has both a tea pot and a coffee pot with it. The tea pot is short and squat while the coffee it tall and narrow.....and it has a cream pitcher and sugar bowl. Years ago a similar set was called a "tea service".
    Google images for "nippon tea pot" and again for "nippon coffee pot"......
    That tall skinny pot is a coffee pot, even if all pots in Ms Van Patten's book are called tea pot.
    The price will be vastly different now than it was in 1986....not sure how much different....but very different! Your best tool for finding an estimate for current selling price will be completed sales on ebay or a similar site.
    Linda c