Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradleyd_svh

What is this ODD texture on hand painted mural/table?

bradleyd_svh
9 years ago

I am curious about the peculiar (to me, anyway) texture in the painting of of this hand painted table. The table is wood, of course, but the paint has a sort of dappled texture that would seem to indicate that the painting was done atop another surface which was applied to the table.

Does this indicate that a canvas was applied to the table's surface, or does that texture come by some other means? That "texture" is not present on the underside of the table.
I invite guesses on its age too, though I am less concerned with that because I like the aesthetics. When you look at it in person, you can see and even feel the brush strokes in the flowers. Also, there is no signature. And again, there is none of this texturing anywhere on the table except on the top surface painting.

This second photo shows a closeup of the peculiar texturing. In the first photo you can see why I considered this a STEAL for only $50.

Comments (8)

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Second photo with closeup of dapples, dimples whatever the heck these things are! Again, my only clue is that this is present ONLY on the top of the table where the mural is painted. That's why my guess is that perhaps the painting was done on a canvas and we are looking at the canvas surface, which was applied to the table. Don't hesitate to disagree if you have a better theory.

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

It's beautiful. Does it look old underneath? I know that old paintings that were varnished are sometimes kind of bumpy feeling. Is it signed underneath or any where on top!! I think you got a great buy! Enjoy!

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! Sadly, no signature, and the color is a flat dark green on the underside. The brackets that hold the legs to the table look extremely modern, but that doesn't necessarily mean the table is modern, as old family possessions DO tend to get fixed up. Tables are notorious for becoming wobbly with age. It is the mural on top that makes me suspect it is old, though granted that is not much to go on. Unsure you can tell from my photos, but the paint in those flowers is soooooo thick you can actually feel it, so it is definitely hand-done. They sure aren't doing that at Target, or Walmart or Pier One Imports these days. On another antiques site, I saw a vintage high chair from the 1950s with cartoon images on it and even those were simply decals, not paintings.

But yes, I am satisfied, whatever its age.

Still hoping someone sees this and explains those dimples though. It might validate my canvas theory and I could further ask "when were they attaching canvasses to furniture?"

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    9 years ago

That is not the texture of canvas. Looks to me like many layers of varnish or poly laid on over the painting, the painting being done directly on the table. You get that dimpled texture if you don't sand between coats. With it being varnished over painting, whoever made it was probably afraid of sanding into the painted surface. If it was on canvas, you would still be able to see the canvas through the clear varnish, even if there was so much on there that the canvas texture was smoothed out.

I have painted on canvas, and painted on wood furniture too. I got the same dimpled look until I sanded it out.

9 years ago

Had another thought: Use a strong magnifying glass: and see if it is a print adhered to the table. I had an aunt (not an artist) who used to decoupage prints onto wood, then use a brush to make textured "brushstrokes" with a gel medium, following the flowers to make it look painted. The other side of my family (who were artists) considered it to be fakery, but it was just a craft form with its own charms: and she got to be very good at it.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

If it was canvas, you should be able to detect the edge of the cut canvas, either along the edges or at the corners. I agree it looks like the texture left by a paint roller.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

If it was canvas, you should be able to detect the edge of the cut canvas, either along the edges or at the corners. I agree it looks like the texture left by a paint roller.

9 years ago

Even without being applied by a roller, varnish can dimple like that if it is not sanded between coats. And yes, some edge of a canvas should be visible.