Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Copper or brass planter with sunwheel (swastik) on bottom

Posted by jparr64 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 20:46

can anyone help me identify and provide any details on this nice planter I got at an estate sale. It has three interesting swastika symbols carved into the bottom. I realize that this probably isn't from the Germans but from the older use of the symbol. Any help is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Copper or brass planter with sunwheel (swastik) on bottom

Here is another photo

o

The right facing swastika has many connections to ancient eastern religions. Your piece could have been made in India but it should be marked that way.

o

This piece looks very much like an import from India.

We had lots of brass decor imported from India in the 80's in Russia. My parents there have a brass tray and bowl without any manufacturer marks. No marks "Made in India" either. No swastikas, but they wouldn't be allowed in the USSR at all.

If the piece was purchased as a souvenir overseas, that would explain the swastikas and the lack of a manufacturer mark. I have a brass candlestick brought by my DH's niece from Nepal. No manufacturer marks on it.

o

Okay, thanks everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here