Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicole6383

Mysterious old dresser & vanity set

nicole6383
11 years ago

I was immediately drawn to purchase this vanity and dresser set. The owner knew very little- that it was from the 1920s - 1930s. The bottom of each leg has a caster and there are some stamped/stenciled letters on the back of the furniture but I can't tell what it says. I can't find anything about the pieces and would love to know more about them/the value. (Sorry about the blurry photo).

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (5)

• lindac
    11 years ago

Pretty classic 1930 st7uff....veneer in some spots, solid in others....usually good sturdy stuff.
    Might even be 10 years older...
    There was a craze about 40 years ago to paint all that stuff in a cream-ish color with a glaze....so when it got worn and chippy a lot went to the landfill. Lucky to find a set with the original finish.
    Linda C

• nicole6383
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much Lindac! Do you have any idea what style this would be considered? I am very intrigued by this set and want to know all i can about it!!

• lindac
    11 years ago

Jacobean revival....ish!! LOL!
    But it has many characteristics of that... and some not so typical....the short legs for example.

• calliope
    11 years ago

This may well be a 30s set, but I'd be inclined to go the opposite direction to the twenties or earlier and falls under a movement called Colonial Revival or perhaps Centennial. Colonial Revival is a collective term and reflects a trend in that time frame to resurrect the more ornate styles of previous times. So, it's quite proper to say it has Jacobean influence. Or as Linda used in another thread when commenting on a chair 'chippendalish'. This explains, when looking at furniture we know is more modern than the area in which a style indicates that it is an interpretation of an earlier style, often with some poetic license.

You are fortunate to have the dresser as well, as the smaller notions drawer atop the unit is more indicative of an earlier manufacture date than 40s. It's not cut in stone, but the more modern the piece, the less likely it is to be there. It springs from an era of factory assisted hand manufacture, is mass produced, and yeah..nice sturdy stuff, and a combination of veneer and solid.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique web article

• shea
    11 years ago

I would agree with 1920's to 30's, although it looks more 30's to me. The mirror appears to be in pretty good shape. Would be lovely to display some vintage perfume bottles on it!