Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn237

antique dresser question

Lyban zone 4
13 years ago

I have this dresser which is probably 150 or more years old. It is from England and was brought over here by my son in law .

It is very bulky and though a nice piece he would like to sell it because it just takes too much room. Any ideas as to what I could ask for it about.

{{gwi:1389731}}

Comments (13)

• lindac
    13 years ago

I see nothing about that piece that indicated it might be 150 years old but for the loose fitting drawers.
    The pulls are from the 1920's....what else about it looks like it might be from 1850?
    Linda C

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well my son in law says that it was in his house all his years growing up and he is 40years old so he asked his mother and she said it was from the late 1800's or early 1900's. so that is all I know.
    Right above the top drawer is a pull out shelf that looks like what we have seen in kitchens for cutting bread on but this is part of the dresser.
    Perhaps the handles were changed at one time, I do not know? anywys I guess it is not doing much for you.

• lindac
    13 years ago

I am guessing it was a kitchen piece, likely from about 1920.

• someone2010
    13 years ago

I respectfully disagree with Lindac. The pulls are called Rosette handles and were used on furniture from the late 1700's to the present. The rosettes of the originals were pressed. Yellow pine wood was used quite a bit for furniture and the British seem to love a bees wax finish (if that's what it is). I'm not saying it's 150yrs old, but it's not out of the question. From the little the photo shows, it looks good.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Let's see the dovetailing and the bottoms of the drawers and the back of the piece.
    I find it strange that there is no evidence of use around the drawer handles.
    I call that type of handle "swan neck with rosettes and no back plate."

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

On my monitor, it looks like it's had paint stripped from it; if it's a piece that's never had a finish, I think the pine would be darker.

What are the horizontal marks on the side that correspond to the drawers? It doesn't seem to be any on the other side as shown by the mirror.

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

Is is possible this piece originally had veneer over it? The knots are pretty large for furniture.

• someone2010
    13 years ago

I concur with Lindac. It's difficult of assert anything definitive about the age without seeing the drawer and case construction. It would be interesting to see if the drawers were made with dovetails and drawer slips. Also, a look at the bottom might indicate if there were feet at one time. Also, a look inside of the case to see the construction of the drawer runners and guides. A picture of the nails used to hold on the back would be good too.

Not that this piece is of any great value in any case but it does present an interesting example, either way. I like the preceptive questions the other people posted.

• calliope
    13 years ago

I believe this piece is part of a larger unit or battery of units. Look at how the top edges are finished off. It has a distinctly rounded edge on the right as you are looking at it. On the left, it is squared as if the left side butted against something else. I don't think the left side was meant to be completely exposed. The grooves could have corresponded to where thin shelves lay against it.

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

Calliope, I wondered the same thing. Also, would it have had feet or some sort of base?

I like it well enough for rustic pine, but I don't think it's the work of any master craftsman.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Calliope, I agree....part of a kitchen or butler's pantry set up....

• texasredhead
    13 years ago

We frequently see pieces that people want to sell with the implication that it must be valuable for one reason or another. IMO, as a person who has bought and sold antiques for several decades, I do not see a value that would interest me.

• karinl
    13 years ago

As to a number, I would say a dresser like this in my area would go for about $120-150 on craigslist, perhaps double that in a store, but of course if you consign it in a store you only get half that anyway. You could always try asking a little higher to start with.

It is unusual with respect to size and format, but ironically that doesn't necessarily increase its value; rather, it reduces the size of the pool of potential buyers. So an antique or vintage consignment store might not be that eager to take it because it might sit for a while before selling.

But just asking such a store if they would take it will often tell you all you need to know.

I do think it's quite cool, but not to the extent that I would pay more for it than for any dresser that I like - especially given that I would feel it necessary to correct that drawer sag problem to use it.

KarinL