Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindarenee_gw

I don't know how to identify this chair!

lindarenee
12 years ago

Hi, I need to describe this old chair. I have no idea what style it is. Can anyone help? I will try to include its picture below. Hope I can get it on the first try. Thanks!!

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z390/Lindarenee/chairr.jpg

Comments (11)

• lindarenee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I will try to get the photo once more:
    [IMG]http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z390/Lindarenee/chairr.jpg[/IMG]

• lindac
    12 years ago

style??...hmm...Victorian? Barrel chair?....nice and I'll bet it's one of a pair.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful:

• someone2010
    12 years ago

I believe the style to be Empire. Is there any indication who made the chair and where it was made. If there is more information, put it out.

• lindarenee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both! No manufacturing marks on the chair.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I would call that a Roman chair. They were quite popular in the late 1800s and continued to be made for quite awhile. Mostly you see them all in wood, but I've seen a few with padded seats and backrests. The styling on them was usually interpreted to the particular fancy of the day. Mine is pretty gothic, all wood, mahogany. Some are quite Romanesque but it's not unusual to find them with other influences, even Adams and Eastlake. There are even modern, fully padded versions. They were meant to be used as an accent piece, alone.

Here is a link that might be useful: roman chair

• lindarenee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! I was able to attach a description to my chair before I left it off at the Auction House. Blessings, Linda

• someone2010
    12 years ago

What was the description of your chair you chose? If you google Roman style chair you will see they are in the shape of an 'X'. If you google Empire style chair, I believe you will see chairs similar to yours.

• lindac
    12 years ago

What makes that Victorian rather then Empire is the shape of the legs....which is also what makes it victorian rather than Roman.
    Whatever....hope you can soon call it sold!
    Linda c

• calliope
    12 years ago

Roman chair simply refers to a type of chair and since it was produced through many periods it was also interpreted into the influences of each. There certainly were a lot produced in the Victorian era and they were very popular but were still called Roman chairs.

Yes........Roman chairs in the strictest definition were shaped like an X. But most of them sold as Roman chairs weren't......they just implied that shape. And I certainly agree that the picture does suggest a lot of chairs you'd see in the empire style.

You will see Roman chairs with all sorts of legs....... concave, convex, bowed and straight and it is certainly reflective of the era in which it was made, as is the wood, carvings and finish.

Here is a modern interpretation of a Roman Chair

Here is a link that might be useful: Roman chair

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

Dante chair? Cousin of a savonarola chair.
    Casey

• JuanitaWilkins
    12 years ago

I just paid $22.87 for an iPad2-64GB and my girlfriend loves her Panasonic Lumix GF 1 Camera that we got for $38.76 there arriving tomorrow by UPS. I will never pay such expensive retail prices in stores again. Especially when I also sold a 40 inch LED TV to my boss for $675 which only cost me $62.81 to buy. Here is the website we use to get it all from, BidsGet.com