Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raetaylor

Hand painted plate... trying to date.

raetaylor
12 years ago

I have a hand painted plate approx. 7.25 inches. The stamp on the back is from s.& g. gump co. san francisco. They were the importer. I have located other gump marks but none like this. The other mark is Japanese... at least I think it is. Ive done hours of searching to try to decipher the mark but I guess you need to speak japanese... which i dont..lol. Anybody read Japanese or have knowledge on the age of the gump mark? I would appreciate any information!

Comments (8)

• Mikk
    12 years ago

I could be wrong... I'm not a ceramic buff, but the pattern looks more Chinese or Korean to me. I could translate for you, but not from the picture 'as is'. It's too small and blurry. Looks kind of like "life" "something" "mountain". Possibly "life spirit mountain" (?) or loosely translated as life long or lifetime mountain.

Just guessing though... I really read anything beyond a 50% certainty on the last character.

Are those characters around the edge?

• raetaylor
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ive tried to take another shot. I hope this is a bit better... thanks for helping! I think around the edge is just a design.

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

Gump's San Francisco was not just an importer, they were and still are a high-class department store. They might know what it was.

http://www.gumps.com/ and find a contact person

• raetaylor
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This was exactly the reason ive given this plate a closer look. I read a book published years ago called Gumps Treasure Trade by Carol Wilson. I was just hoping someone on this forum had run across another similar gump stamp. :)
    I guess your right... the company would be a good start! Thanks!

• Mikk
    12 years ago

Dunno. Still too difficult to read, but looks like "meetinghouse mountain" (mountain is 100%), or could be "complete shelter mountain" (protective mountain).

Good luck with the Company. I'm not much on ceramics, but that's a good looking plate. :-) Rustic... earthy... Nice!

• raetaylor
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all of your help Mikk! Im still waiting on Gumps to get back to me... I hope they do or this may just remain a mystery!

• JuanitaWilkins
    12 years ago

I just paid $22.87 for an iPad2-64GB and my girlfriend loves her Panasonic Lumix GF 1 Camera that we got for $38.76 there arriving tomorrow by UPS. I will never pay such expensive retail prices in stores again. Especially when I also sold a 40 inch LED TV to my boss for $675 which only cost me $62.81 to buy. Here is the website we use to get it all from, BidsGet.com

• someone2010
    12 years ago

Beautiful plate, from what I could tell from photograph.