Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hudson Bay Blankets

Posted by blueheron (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 21, 10 at 19:32

We have two vintage HB blankets that were given to us new by my in-laws over 40 years ago. They weren't used very much and I see on Ebay that the prices for them are all over the place. We have no use for them and would like to sell them.

They are twins so they would be worth less than doubles. Anybody know anything about the value of them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hudson Bay Blankets

Are they "real" Hudson Bay blankets? Complete with label?
If so....check ebay for other "real" blankets.
Be aware that lots of people call a blanket in the Hudson Bay pattern "Hudson bay"....but they are not!!
Linda C

o

Hudson Bay blakets are made of wool and are expensive as blankets go. My information is old, but as I understand it, the original purpose of these blankets were for trading for furs from the Indians. These blankets were made in 4 levels of value and marked in a way readily understandable by the native hunters. These markings were carried into modern times. If you have an authentic HD blanket, it will have 1 to 4 dark bars in one corner; A single bar was worth one beaver pelt and 4 bars was 4 pelts. The blankets were folded, packaged and displayed such that the bars showed.

o

I believe the bars refer to size rather than quality.

o

Yes, they are real Hudson Bay blankets with the label. It's hard to find out the value because the prices are all over the place and some of the auctions have just started and I forget to check back to see what the final bid was. But yes, they are authentic.

One is green and one is red but they both have the bars.

o

This site might be helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hudson Bay company FAQ's

o

Thanks, tasymo. It looks like they were made between 1950 and the 1970's. And they're doubles, not singles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here