Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimtoro

Antique Kochs Barber Chair

kimtoro
14 years ago

I have recently been interested in selling an antique Kochs Barber Chair that has been in my family for near 20 years, and I have been having difficulty finding any information about it. It was given to my father years ago by a neighbor who had no space for it any longer, and over the last 20 years or so it has become more of a place for empty boxes and coats. I know it definitely needs to be cleaned up a bit, these pictures are right after I rolled it out of it's corner in the garage, I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about how old it is perhaps, or what a good price to sell it for would be? Thanks!

]

Comments (5)

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Wow, fascinating! Pure speculation, but I'm guessing age is between late 1800's to very early 1900's because pics I've seen while googling show this brand of chair dated newer (1930's-50's) are vinyl(?) and chrome, not leather and wood like yours. Try googling "kochs barber chair" for more info, one sold for abt $500, one is one eBay for $4000, there are lots of them out there but I haven't seen any (yet) that look to be as old as yours.

• mnieves79_hotmail_com
    14 years ago

That is a c.1903 Theo A Kochs Columbia chair. The original patent is date 1898. There were a few changes between 1898 to the 1903 models. I have an 1891 missing the headrest and footrest. I have been searching all night for photos of the footrest and here you provided a nice closeup. All I need now is to find a photo of the backside of that metal plate. I have the wooden piece that goes with it. Hoping to get enough pictures to see if I can have someone build me a temporary replacement.

I have added a link to the patent for that chair you have. Biggest difference is the base. If I find the patent for your exact model I can e-mail it to you.

Martin
    mnieves79@hotmail.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Patent 598877 (Feb 8 1898)

• mnieves79
    14 years ago

Sorry, its not a Columbia. It's a Kochs' Gold Medal from Theo A Kochs & Son 1903 catalog

• grannybrenda
    14 years ago

We just finished restoring an 1898 Theo A. Kochs barber chair. It was missing both footrests, so my husband made just the bottom one of polished aluminum. If you would like to see pictures of it email me at grannybrenda@msn.com.
    Also if anyone has the footrests and is interested in selling them please contact me at grannybrenda@msn.com.

• Annemmorse
    9 years ago

Trying to figure out age and value on this old Theo Koch barber chair ..
    Also where to sell it .
    Any help is appreciated !

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH