Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bassmaster345

Need help identifying

bassmaster345
12 years ago

Can someone help me identify this spoon.

Comments (14)

• lindac
    12 years ago

What's it made of? What is it marked? How big is it? Where did you get it?
    And can you post a better picture?
    Linda C

• Mikk
    12 years ago

Any chance it looks a little more something like this?

• bassmaster345
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes that is exactly what it looks like MIKK.
    I am not sure what it is made of, I found it in a repo house we were cleaning out and it looks very interesting. Can you give me some info about it? Thanks

• calliope
    12 years ago

Is that a cherub with wings spread directly over the bowl of the spoon? I can't tell what the figural object is on the very top. Is it a ship? I'm not the silver person here by any long shot, but that is a tiny spoon. I've seen some on sites listing similar spoons as 'souvenir spoons' but could see where it might be a baby spoon or one with a particular purpose. Is there any sort of mark on the back. That's would be a good thing to mention as far as possible maker or material. Spoons with filigree handles were very popular in Europe turn of the century ware, don't know about U.S. Really doubt this is a part of any type of pattern or set.

It's a really interesting item. Hope someone can help you and I'd be curious to see the replies.

• Mikk
    12 years ago

Not the foggiest, but it sure looks a heck of a lot like a spoon. (gafaw)

Did you try the magnet test on it? I would have guessed a cherub as well, and the top looks a bit like a gondola, but darned if I can make out the design at the base of the handle.

I might be thinking a souvenir or baby spoon as well.. although a bit ornate for a baby spoon. Part of a tea service?

Higher resolution photos might help.. help others I mean.. lol To me, it's just a nifty little spoon :-) I would be excited to find something like that in the way you did though.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Perhaps a salt spoon? Judging by the pitting in the bowl.
    we really need better pictures....or could be one of a demi-tasse set.
    Is it marked on the back?

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

Two more pieces with the same pattern (gondola & cherub) that sold on ebay 4 years ago. (You have to sign up for trial to see what they sold for.)

The pic from that site:
    {{gwi:1389475}}

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

If this site is credible, " Italy has a long tradition of making interesting silver. Old pieces of Roman silver flatware have been uncovered and are found in a few museums. For souvenir spoons, the Italians used designs from their very large collection of works of art."

Their examples are different, but they say both the gondola and cherub represent Venice. Perhaps it's from an old souvenir set from Italy?

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

At 3.5", it's probably a demi although it could be a salt spoon. Without knowing what marks are on the back (which it will definitely have if it's silver) we may never know the country of origin.

• calliope
    12 years ago

Moonshadow.............great find!

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

Thank you calliope :)

They did say the identical ones pictured above are marked "800" on the back.

• bassmaster345
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I found some markings inside the bowl of the spoon and it looks like 900, there is another marking next to that but can't make it out.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    12 years ago

I have seen salt spoons, and they are tiny compared to this spoon. I am guessing a demitasse spoon or a child's spoon. I would guess sugar spoon, but I think the shell bowl spoon above is a sugar spoon.

• lindac
    12 years ago

900 means 900 parts out of 1000 silver. Sterling is 925 parts out of 1000. Many European countries make silver things in less than sterling fineness.
    If that is indeed a gondola on the top....it most likely is a souvenir from Venice as gondolas are identified in a tourist's mind with Venice.
    If it is indeed what I described, it likely was made in the first 40 years of the 20th century, when souvenir spoons were popular..
    BUT it could be a souvenir of Venice Florida....not likely but without seeing the back and knowing exactly what the mark is we won't know.
    Linda C