Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help identify stunning desk

Posted by dogjuggler (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 18:01

This desk has been in my family for at least three generations, maybe four. My family was from Georgia, so perhaps it was built somewhere near there. I have the original key, which I would think is pretty unusual!

Notice that the feet have "hair" carved behind the foot!
I doubt the upper unit with doors came with it. If you can identify that, you get bonus points!!!

Thanks in advance for your help! I'm wanting to sell it and need to figure out the value. If you know that too, please share here!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help identify stunning desk

This is a LONG shot, but I Googled 'Empire desk hairy claw feet'. I ended up at Ruby Lane, linked below.

But when I landed at Ruby Lane, the search term had changed to this - 'Furniture:Empire Style Mahogany Columns Triple Doors Hairy Paw Feet' .

It makes me think that perhaps this seller HAD one described like that and it sold. The seller is in Pensacola, FL, and it you go to Ruby Lane and that store, there is a link to contact them. Perhaps they can help ID yours and put a value on it?

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Roberts Antiques

o

Hi, dogjuggler! Just got your email and you are very welcome. I don't know if it will pan out, but it sure seemed odd that the search showed that when I got to Ruby Lane.

Love your user name; with three Brittanys, I feel like a dog juggler at times.

I found this post when someone from the Decorating board posted and asked if anyone could help you. Yours is one of the very few Gorgeous Items in the post below. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Post the gorgeous, goofy, and ghastly CL items here!

o

That was me. :) I am glad that 3dogs was able to help.

Based on the information she gave, I did my own search and used 'Empire Secretary Desk'. Came up with another Ruby Lane desk. Though not as fancy as yours, I was surprised to see that this desk looks like the secretary that my brother took possession from after my parents died last year, although not in as good of shape. I am sending this link to him, as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Secretary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here