Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleaning old sewing machine finish

Posted by foxwood (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 1, 09 at 17:54

I am cleaning an old Franklin sewing machine and there is a film on the paint. I assume it is a buildup from oils from fingers and maybe machine oil. I have tried windex and car polish to remove it. I does come off as a brown color but I expect there is a better solvent one of you can recommend.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleaning old sewing machine finish

Try mineral spirits....AKA paint thinner.
Is it painted or a natural finish? If it's paint you might be removing some of the paint along with the grime.
Mineral spirits is a lot more gentle on existing finish than Windex.
Linda C

o

"Fantastic" cleanser is great for grime. Be very gentle, if it is one of those with a decorative filligree'd paint job.
a coat of car wax will be just the thing to protect it once it's clean.
Casey

o

"Fantastic" will strip a lacquer finish.

o

The finish may be varnish and this can soften and become tacky in damp, warm weather. The other possibility is the 'dirt' may be condensed kitchen grease. Cabinetry and furniture in the vicinity of kitchens in old houses often became coated with grease from cooking activity.

o

Vinegar works great on cleaning old finishes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here