Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theglassylassy

Georges Briard Hyalyn Ashtray

theglassylassy
13 years ago

Hello again! I'm going to be asking a lot of questions so that hopefully someday I can be the one answering them! :)

I have a Georges Briard Hyalyn ashtray in the Midas pattern. I have seen tons of other items in this pattern, but I cannot seem to find this one! I even have the piece number, it is B13. I swear I've looked up every variant of "Gerorges Briard Hyalyn white round ashtray midas b13" that is possible! Here are some pictures:

View of the whole piece

The cork bottom along with signature and number

A more detailed picture of the design

It measures about 10" in diameter and 1.75" in height.

This is something I am selling, so value is a concern, but I know I can't specifically ask about that. So all I'm wondering is the rarity of this piece. Can anyone else find one of these and share the link or information? Thanks!

Comments (18)

• lindac
    13 years ago

More 1960's kitsch. Not antique.

• Fori
    13 years ago

Is it a Christmas pattern? Looks very festive. Oh, I don't know anything. I'm just looking. :)

• theglassylassy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lindac, I spent a lot of time posting this and, in my opinion, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. This is an "antiques & collectibles" forum, and this is MOST CERTAINLY a collectible. I'm sorry it doesn't fit your description of being old enough for your attention, but it does matter to me and maybe other people as well. And, by the way, next year this pattern will be 50 years old, which is how many sites define an "antique".

• lindac
    13 years ago

I apologize...I am having a very bad day...
    Not my taste, but it is a fine piece. Sorry I don't know about rarity.
    I would classify it as mid century modern....not antique but collectable.

• nanny2a
    13 years ago

Excuse me. but have the rules suddenly changed? I thought "antique" was the given term for anything 100 years or older - since when is a 50 year old piece an antique? More like "vintage", perhaps! Did the rules change one day when I wasn't paying attention, or is it still 100 years or more>

• lindac
    13 years ago

No you are correct Nanny.

• theglassylassy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Both of you are correct, most places define an antique as 100 years or older, that is my mistake. The site where I sell some things has an antique category that is 50 to 75 years old, so that is their mistake and I should have done more research and been more informed about that.

Either way I have not felt very welcome on these forums. I'm sorry I don't know everything, but that's the reason I'm here! I don't know how to learn anything if I don't ask questions, and every time I've asked a legitimate question, I've gotten some sort of snarky reply, and not only in this thread. I don't necessarily think my items are top notch or high dollar, I just want to learn. All I was trying to do was further my limited knowledge in something that I'm interested in.

• Fori
    13 years ago

You never claimed it was an antique! It's definitely "collectible" though. No worries on being in the right place.

(And don't be too put off by crabbiness. Some of us can be curt at times but don't mean it.)

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

And by googling (( Georges Briard Hyalyn Ashtray(, lo!

Here is a link that might be useful: Georges Briard Hyalyn Ashtray

• lindac
    13 years ago

Aha! So the MO of glassyglass is to post things on etsy then run to the various forums asking for information but in reality to advertise their wares.
    Thanks Ideefixe! Now we know.

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

Well, you'd think she'd have linked to her shop (where she's selling a "vintage" Mt. Dew bottle. Oh, well, different strokes for different folks.

I never understand people who post here and then get cranky when they don't get the answer they want.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

So, it seems glassylassy was the snarky one who already knew the answer to her question since she had posted it for sale on etsy and included all the details there. Hmmm....

• theglassylassy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't even know what to say to you people. Ridiculous. YES, I am selling this ashtray (I revealed this in my first post about another product that I have a shop). NO, I did not come here to try and sell it to you. I know that there is no kind of advertising allowed here. If I had wanted to advertise it to you, I would have provided a link to pictures on my etsy page, but instead I uploaded them to a different site so that I wouldn't be violating any terms of use. You're assuming things about me that are not true at all. The only reason my user name on here and etsy is the same is because it's easier for me to remember. And, you know what? I'm glad you can find my product when you search for what it is! Do you think I'm so stupid that I don't allow google to find things on my site?!

And, cyn427, I know plenty about this product, besides IT'S RARTIY...which is all I asked you people about! Ugh. I've used forums before with questions like this and I've never encountered so many hostile people who scoff at young people like me just trying to learn a thing or two. I'm no spam bot or tricky advertiser, I'm a real person behind a computer who wanted help finding something out, and now that I've had my REAL feelings hurt, I'll go away and leave you to your bickering.

• Fori
    13 years ago

I don't think Glassylassy deserved all this. Others post here to get information about things they are going to sell without any fuss. She didn't write anything deceptive and was pretty darn clear as to what she was doing. So yeah. She said she was selling something and lo! It's for sale. On the very same internet as this forum. It's not like there is another, different internet available.

Really now, what exactly did she do wrong?

• lindac
    13 years ago

This is a site for learning about antiques. I resent someone who has already determined a price and has listed items on an auction site to come and post pictures of her wares hoping to increase traffic and possible sales of her stuff.
    She posts links to her Etsy shop all over the web. I can't blame her for trying to increase traffic, but feel a bit duped because I thought she came here genuinely seeking information rather than directing people to her goods.

• someone2010
    13 years ago

I googled Georges Briard Hyalyn Ashtray and apparently your price of $40 is quite high. They were selling a pair for $30 out of an vintage and antique store. Seems this guy did quite a bit of stuff and rarity is not a selling point. People were reporting finding his stuff at flee markets, thrift stores, yard sales, junk yards and any place else you can think of. I think, at this point and time, kitsch would be the operative word. With the profusion of this stuff out there, I think it will be a long long time before it has much value.

• someone2010
    13 years ago

I like it though.

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

Actually, I found the ashtray on etsy, and didn't even realize the name was the same until after I posted it.

But, I suggest that anyone who wants to get a valuation for something in order to sell it--invest in the Worthpoint subscription. It's deductible.

And categorically--nothing mass produced is rare.

And Glassy--you're pretty abrupt with a group of people who could be considered potential customers. Have a nice life.