Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

So, what's this for and when's it from?

Fori
13 years ago

I have a bunch of junk. Knick knacks, I suppose, and I'm sure that's all much of it was ever meant to be, but some is useful. And I'm curious about most of it.

My fruitbowl, for example, holds fruit. It has a matching candy dish. Seems like an odd combination, but the fruit bowl probably wasn't meant for fruit and heck, the candy dish may have been meant for something else. Ideas on function are welcome.

But I'm sort of interested in where and when things like this were made. It's pressed glass with seams and bubbles and not perfect roundness. The color is painted on the flowers on the outside (no paint on the smooth side). What's this called? Is this one of those things you'd pick up at the grocery store in the 80s with a different piece per week? I could use a matching pitcher!

(And is it apple blossoms or dogwood?)

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• lindac
    13 years ago

Chip and dip dish....with a lid to something else....probably not that divided dish.
    The pattern rings a small tinkling bell....but I can't really glom on...
    It's dogwood.
    And I think it's about 1960....and much nicer than supermarket stuff.
    Linda C

• lindac
    13 years ago

Would another dish sit in the center of the bowl? In which case it's a center piece. Probably form maybe 50's..
    People in that era were all about "centerpieces"...they may have held flowers...but often just were...just a bowl or epergne or huge covered compote.

• Fori
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Linda. Hmmm. Hmmmmmmmmm. I think the little lid fits the divided bowl really well. The dividers don't go all the way to the top, but it's almost airtight around the edges. I've kept unwrapped hard candies there for a few humid weeks satisfactorily.

But the big thing...it's not as evenly formed as the little piece. No flat spot in the middle for another dish and no conceivable way for a lid to fit.

See, it's a little bit floppy, whereas the little dish is much more regular and the lid fits well:

• igloochic
    13 years ago

I'm sure the little dish is correct (as a pair) because I have one similar. The painted flowers are repeated on the base without paint.

The little topper on the divided nut dish (it is not a chip or dip bowl) appears 50's to 60's to me. Just a couple of entertainment pieces :) And yes the larger piece could be a basic center piece or a general service piece if the base isn't flat.

But they're sweet. I have oddles of them from all ages...ok wait, I actually do avoid the 80's grocery store crap LOL

There might have been a pitcher, but without being able to identify the actual pattern or maker that's a tough one to find.

• lindac
    13 years ago

I see now more clearly what that big bowl is...I thought what I was seeing was something in the center....but it was the base showing through the glass.
    A little research shows it's Lancaster glass most likely of the Depression era. It borders on Elegant depression glass, because it's molded but hand finished.
    The pink dogwood pattern isn't painted but has the flowers applied, the pink is frosted and in the glass. I found a flat tort plate and a fruit bowl, which is what you have.
    It's lots and lots better than grocery store stuff....better than lots of the other "normal" sort of depression glass that Lancaster made.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: one example

• lindac
    13 years ago

Another example

Here is a link that might be useful: bowl

• Fori
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dang Linda--you're awesome! Thank you!!

Having a name makes a big difference when you're trying to find something. (How are you with appliance parts? I have this broken doohickey and I can't google it because I don't know what it's called and...hehehe)

• lindac
    13 years ago

Knowing what to put into Google helps too....and also having a long acquaintance with and study of late 19th and 20th century glass helps too.
    Also having one of those brains that collects stuff....and it's there but you just have to wait a few minutes for it to surface! Comes with age I guess!!

• jel48
    13 years ago

What a beautiful pattern!