Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Antique Basket

Posted by AndyA2000 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 17:04

I am wondering if anyone knows what type of basket this is and what it was used for back in the day? I would love to have one in our house for display, they are just gorgeous!

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Antique Basket

Can't see enough to tell....it looks like something constructed by the photographer just for display. Barrel staves and some sort of a stitched leather top?
I have seen babies photographed in dough bowls...I suppose this is a variation.
Linda C

o

Thanks Lindac. I don't think they made it though. I think I've seen these like this before, it seems like it's all originally intact. It's round and really shallow.

o

I believe this to be vintage, or even antique. It suggests to me a wooden butter bowl, they sometimes are made with staves and it's about the right size for working butter with paddles after churning. You can't tell if the inside of it is smooth, by a photograph, but stave bowls are not unusual, and I've seen directons for them in woodworking magazines. Wood bowl making was also a cottage industry in the part of Missouri where I am from. I can't tell if what Linda suggests is leather or copper. Old tarnished copper looks like that and may be attached to wood with a peg similar to a poultry nail, and it would look like stitching in a photograph. My guess would be more likely a butter bowl.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here