Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can you tell me about this art nouveau letter holder?

Posted by javaandjazz (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 1, 10 at 16:39

I picked up this up in New Hartford, CT at the Collinsville Antique Center. This wasn't a super bargain but I wanted it and I paid for it...LOL, it's going to be very useful on my desk. The mark on the bottom is "467" and on the inside "467 B". I'm kinda dying to poilsh it but I know that's a bad thing, at least in this case. I don't think it's Jennings Brothers cause they usually mark with a number followed by "JB" or Bradley and Hubbard I'm trying to figure out the metal used also. It's sort of coppery when you hold it just right. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can you tell me about this art nouveau letter holder?

I love it! But it doesn't look like the style of Jennings Brothers....and from what I read they always worked in spelter....and that sure doesn't look like spelter in any way to me...looks more like pewter.
Maybe it's a little more arts and crafts than art nouveau?
Even has a little of the southwestern or Aztec look.
Does it hold a magnet...I know likely not but I had to ask!! LOL!

o

I thought arts and crafts too but the owner of the booth had it for sale as art nouveau. I also agree with you on the south western and aztec look too! It does hold a magnet, is that a bad thing..LOL? It reminds me of some tiffany pieces of I seen but I am dreaming that it is...LOL!!!!

o

A dealer from ebay just said it's probably 1960's but in my opinion, I don't think so...mmore like late 1800's or early 1900's.

o

It holds a magnet? All over? try lots of places...
That means it's steel....or possibly an alloy called white brass a nickle alloy.
Wow! Who worked in steel?

o

Holds the magnet all over, even the bottom too.

o

My guess is cast iron with worn brass overlay. Not uncommon in old letter holders.

o
Maker

And yes, I do think it's probably Jennings Brothers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here