Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calm1_gw

ID desk-table

calm1
11 years ago

Hello all,

Just started on this table & noticed a few things. The top is solid mahogany, no veneer, bow tied on the bottom. All the carvings are actually carved into the legs and aprons, no applied stuff. I can't find any marks or names to identify the maker. Anyone have any ideas? All I know is she bought in Missouri.

Thanks

Ed

Comments (12)

• calm1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Picture # 2

• calm1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pic. # 3

• calm1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pic # 4

• lindac
    11 years ago

It's a French provincial style.....obviously good quality.
    Can't tell about age without seeing details of construction....dovetails?...Are you SURE it's mahogany? sides don't look like it.
    I am guessing it's a nice quality 1960's piece of furniture. I am wondering why you are stripping it....
    Linda c

• calm1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's mahogany, just bleached out from thinner & sun.
    I am wondering why you are stripping it....
    Well the answer is a lot of my customers find a piece they love but don't want some old beat up piece sitting in the house. So I "restore" it to original condition. I'm known for saving old stuff from going to the landfill & making it beautiful. This piece is a perfect example, they found it in an old barn, roof leaked on it for 20 years, I completely redid it and it will live on.
    http://thespeedofwood.com/images/5000.jpg
    The following pictures are the underside and the drawers.

• calm1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pic 2

• calm1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pic 3

• calm1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pic 4

• calm1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It don't matter to me in the least but based on the drawer construction I don't see 1960, unless done by a small shop using nothing but hand tools.
    Ed
    thespeedofwood.com

• lindac
    11 years ago

Wow....
    Are there signs of wear? like at the bottom of the legs or where the drawers were pulled in and out?
    If not....then the only possibility was that it was made by a master craftsman in his shop.
    How about the screws...I see some....are they 18th century-ish or new?
    What is the finish...is is it all gone? That would give a clue. But those saw marks....hmmmm...

I have a friend who had a fabulous breakfront china cabinet, mahogany, hand made by a fine woodworker. But for the fact that there are no signs of wear and the modern type of finishing material, it looks 18th century. So it's possible!!

• antiquesilver
    11 years ago

That method of joining the top boards doesn't say mass produced to me. Definitely high quality IMO but can't tell about the age. Interesting how the bottom of the drawer front (or maybe it's the back) & the support (?) pieces are not cut at perfect right angles. If the desk isn't old, someone took great pains to make it appear old.

• calm1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lindac,
    I believe this piece was taken care of, or not "used" except for dropping things on the top & gouging it up.
    A couple things I notice, and I must say I build in the fashion of older furniture because its worked for a long time.
    First off I think some of the screws have been replaced.
    Four things that grab my attention are;
    1. The wood inside is rough, not the least bit planed.
    2. The lower aprons with the carvings are cut to a very thin edge to meet with the upper apron, typical of trying to save material, because labor was cheap & material cost $$
    3. Heavy, deep band saw cuts in not obvious areas.
    4. Look at the bottom of the drawer picture, that slot tells me they knew they were using wood that was not "properly kiln dried". They used cheap as possible "green" materials where they could, but they knew how to use it so it could expand & contract.
    Most of the stuff I redo I can usually track down but this one is unique.
    Thanks
    Ed
    thespeedofwood.com