Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaner to use on Craftsman cabinet w original finish?

Posted by jlc102482 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 16:13

Sorry if this is the wrong category for this question, but I thought I might reach some knowledgeable people here:

I just bought a great Craftsman cabinet over the weekend, and I'm not sure what type of cleaner to use on it. I'm almost certain that the finish is original. I believe the wood is walnut, and it has been stained a medium oak. It looks like it has only one thin coat of finish, to keep the grain of the wood readily apparent.

I used Murphy's Oil Soap on a white rag to clean a tiny area of the cabinet at first, and I noticed an orange-y color rubbing off onto the white rag. Unfortunately, I can't tell if it's the finish coming off or if it's old tobacco stains, so I stopped cleaning it. What would be safe to use on it? I'm not looking to shine and polish it up - I just clean and free of all the fingerprints it has on it from being at the antiques center.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaner to use on Craftsman cabinet w original finish?

Chances are huge that the finish is shellac....
Don't use any water based stain...I would use pure mineral spirits on a white cloth.
But...there is also a chance that your cabinet was in a smoker's house and the yellow is residual tobacco smoke....
But mineral spirits will remove the tobacco tar and not the finish.
Linda C

o

Thanks, Linda!

o

I meant water based cleaner...not stain...

o

I figured :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here