Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sapphire6917

Should I or shouldn't I?

sapphire6917
10 years ago

Hello,

I have several items of questionable value that I've picked up over the last few years. Some of them are in obvious need of repair and some of them I would just like to change (e.g. reupholster/paint). I am not looking to sell any of these pieces, as they are in use in my home, but I would like to make sure not to needlessly ruin the value of any of the pieces either. So, I'm looking for advice on which pieces can be altered without worrying about value and which pieces require consulting a professional (if any!).

These are some of the pieces that I've photographed and I will try to photograph some of the others later this week.

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Comments (5)

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Repairing, reupholstering, repainting any of the above 3 items will not alter any 'value' they may have.

Fix them so that you can enjoy them.

ML

• sapphire6917
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, maddielee. Here are a few more:

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

Your rocker is a mid-Victorian (or repro) lady's rocker-- hard to tell from the photos if it is of the era. It looks like it might be mahogany or walnut. These rockers are usually very comfortable. Very worth cleaning and fixing up! Victorian is not terribly popular right now, so enjoy it until it regains its value.

The barley-twist table is later Victorian. It's pretty bashed up and looks like it is missing a lot of veneer on top. On the other hand, it's an attractive form and has the wonderful claw feet gripping glass marbles. It would be quite project to restore it ... but would be an eye-catcher if you did.

The drum table might be easily restored using something like Howard's Restor-A-Finish. Did the top originally have leather? Or could we have a better shot of it?

I think the Hepplewhite/French sofa would look better with an untufted back. Is it in good structural shape? If so, it might be a good project for learning upholstery. It's a very pleasing shape.

Interesting chest! Does the top open on both sides? It could be a home handyman special, although the feet are rather refined. I'd refinish it rather than painting it.

The Duncan Phyfe style sofe is most likely a repro -- the carving isn't very sophisticated. This is the only one I'd be even remotely interested in painting. But reupholstering it would probably cost much more than it's worth.

• sapphire6917
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much, Chibimimi, for such an informed response! I bought/accepted all of the pieces because I loved the shape/style and they are a good fit for my home. None of them have sentimental value so I wouldn't be conflicted at all about changing them up but I was advised, due to their age, to just check and make sure it was a good idea. I have many other pieces that I just haven't photographed yet.

The rocker is, indeed, quite comfortable! I fell in love with the shape of the barley-twist table so I just need to figure out what kind of top to put on it. Same with the drum table. I don't believe it had a leather top but whatever was on it is long gone. I will take a better shot of it tonight. The tufting on the sofa is just on the cushion and it is removable. There are two cane chairs that flank that sofa and have very similar upholstery so I would need to do all three. I'm not sure I have the courage to take that on myself! The chest does open on both sides. I was thinking of sanding it down and putting a poly finish on it, rather than painting it. The DP style sofa is certainly up for reupholstering but I hadn't considered painting it. Interesting idea! It is extremely heavy so whatever gets done to it, it will all happen at once!!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

You can read about w and j sloane co on wiki...they are still in business and you can google them for contact info....maybe if you sent pics of your sofa they can tell you more about it...I think their also are pieces for sale on eBay. If I'm not mistaken, they had a store in DC or perhaps Chevy Chase which closed in the 80's or early 90's.