Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Opening Breakfront Lock

Posted by bbtondo (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 6, 10 at 14:58

I usually hang out in the kitchen forum. Was hoping that someone would be able to help me with my furniture problem. I also posted this in the furniture forum.

I recently inherited a Statton Diningroom Breakfront that was purchased in 1955 by my Great Aunt. The glass doors of the breakfront have "key hole" locks that are in the locked position. I did not receive the key.

After searching the web, I think that it is a skeleton barrel keyed lock. I called Statton, and they were not able to help me. I am trying to avoid the cost of a locksmith ($90 just to walk into my home).

Does anyone have advice of how to unlock this breakfront? My DH and I tried to pick the lock with no success.

Thanks for any advice you could give!

Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Opening Breakfront Lock

I had a similar situation with a desk...
I knew an "old guy" locksmith who had a huge supply of old keys....he came with the part of his supply that he suspected would work and of course one did. So he went back to the shop and made me one...all total cost $25...but that was about 20 years ago.
and the key he made fit several other pieces of furniture.
I would go to a junk shop or 2 and find as many of those small skeleton type of keys as I could and give them a try....gently you don't want to get the key stuck!
Or do you know anyone with a similar piece of furniture who has a key...?
Linda C

o

Maybe you will lucky on an auction lot of keys.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots of keys on Ebay.

o

Most of those locks are simple affairs, once you see the detail. Try to get a look at the moveable plate inside. Use a magnifier and a flashlight or small lamp to get a peek. Sometimes the plate can be rotated with a small screwdriver.

If you have a pawn shop or a shop selling junk cabinet locks, buy a couple locks that appear similar to your lock and take those apart. An inexpensive, new lock can be instructional.

o

Thank you all for your help. I've ordered a ring of various skeleton keys online. Wish me luck!

Barb

o

Just wanted to followup. I received my ring of various skeleton keys from Kennedy Hardware. One of the keys fit and opened my breakfront! I am soooo happy!

Barbara

o

Yeah!!!!
Now buy one of those decorative tassels and tie it on the key so you will never lose it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tassels

o

Lindac:

Thanks so much for the link. DH and I were just talking last night how we need one of those "tassel thingys".

Barb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here