Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
walkabout1935

flatware

walkabout1935
12 years ago

Need some info. on these items. Patten, age, are they silver or silver plate?

The smaller one is 3 15/16 inches long. It has the word savage, a lion in a circle and a ?tree? in a square. The larger one 4 5/8 inches long. It has a D-A 830S and a balance scale on the back. Thanks for any info.

Comments (17)

• lindac
    12 years ago

They are "something other than silver"...not silver plate either. Could be pewter, but pewter's pretty soft for a spoon like that....most likely German silver.....which isn't silver at all.
    Where did you get them? they look northern European or German?
    Linda C

• walkabout1935
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Got these and three other pieces at a garge sale.

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

830 is/was a silver standard for some of the European countries, meaning it's 830 parts pure silver & 170 parts something else & considered to be 'solid silver'. (It's virtually the same as sterling but with a lesser silver content.)

Can you post a photo of the marks on the smaller piece? It's probably plate but there's a possibility it's coin.

• walkabout1935
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info. The photo with 'savage' thows the marks on the smaller piece.

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

To me, it looks like a mark on old coin silver but I'm not at home to check my references for a smith named Savage. The style is also in keeping with that period.

• walkabout1935
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What period?

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

If it's coin, it's probably before 1865-70 but it could be later. Hard to tell without research. BTW, it looks like a mustard or salt spoon.

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

Definitely a salt spoon - mustards are longer. The link shows various coin servers with a nice selection of salt spoons. Sadly none are by Savage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coin salt spoons

• lindac
    12 years ago

Hester....for the first time I am going to disagree with you.
    I have a piece or 2 ...or 3 of silver marked 800 and it is no where near as gray and pewter looking as that larger spoon.
    Of course the test will be how well it polishes up.
    As for the smaller piece...most certainly it's American coin....but I have my doubts that it was ever used for salt of mustard because it's in such great condition...both mustard and salt pit silver.

Here is a link that might be useful: savage mark

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

This is the Savage mark.

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

Maker of the larger piece appears to be David Anderson of Norway. Walkabout, be sure to let us see it when it's polished!

Here is a link that might be useful: Norwegian marks

• walkabout1935
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have tracked sown info. for the smaller piece showing George Savage 1867-1855. The marks used 1820s-1840

• walkabout1935
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for so much information. What will polish tell me about the larger piece?

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

How much prettier it is when it's polished!

Here is a link that might be useful: Canadian silversmiths

• lindac
    12 years ago

Damn....you're good!!
    Also walkabout...I sneaked a peek at the 2 sugar shovels in your pictures.....Also european 800 fine silver......nice. Did you also get them at a garage sale?
    I like Wrights silver polish....or magic wadding...or simichrome.
    Post pictures when you get everything cleaned up!

• walkabout1935
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Got those at g.sale. How old are the sugar shovel. Thanks for the info. on polish.

• jemdandy
    12 years ago

Since the bowls are round (instead of oval) I'd hazard a guess these are sugar spoons. They appear like measuring spoons except there are no measurement markings.