Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lulumom_gw

Royal Doulton John Barleycorn Vessel - Valuable?

lulumom
13 years ago

I have a brown jug by Royal Doulton with a picture of John Barleycorn on it. I am trying to figure out what its value is. Can anyone help me with that? I have a picture of it that I can e-mail, I'm not sure how to post pics on this forum.

Comments (15)

• lindac
    13 years ago

Go to Photobucket and follow directions...
    Worth depends...is it a special edition signed by Noke? How big is it? And there are 2, as far as I know images of John Barleycorn on Doulton pitchers....which one is yours? And how bit? the 7 inch one with the round face has a book price of $300.
    Linda C

• lulumom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is a picture of the jug, except mine does not have the chain.

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc148/lbodnik/?action=view&current=decanderjohnbarleycorn.jpg

• lindac
    13 years ago

And what does the bottom say?
    I have never seen one like that....or even a picture....now I have to go looking.
    How big is it?
    Linda C

• lulumom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know it is about 7" high. The jug is over at my parent's place, so I'll check the markings and get back to you. I had a hard time finding anything about this jug. I found one place in San Francisco that was selling a piece like this, but they didn't have a price listed. Other than that, i can't find it anywhere on the net.

• lulumom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The bottom has a stamp of a crowned lion standing on a 5-point crown, and it says Royal Doulton England.

• lindac
    13 years ago

I wrote a long post....and it seems to have gotten lost...
    I think it's a commemorative piece from Dewars Scotch...
    anything on it that would indicate that? I think it's a very classy UK sort of version of a Jim Beam bottle.

• bostonpat_gw
    13 years ago

It appears to be Royal Doulton "Kingsware" that may or may not have contained Dewars Scotch. I would take it to a reputable antique dealer who is knowledgeable with Royal Doulton or an auction house - you may be surprised. I would also consult a Royal Doulton Price/Collectors book - these pieces of Kingsware have been made since the late 1880's.

• lindac
    13 years ago

That mark you describe was used between 1902 and 1956.Kingsware was first made in 1901.
    Is it signed anywhere by Noke? My research indicates that Charles Noke originally designed the John Barleycorn figure in 1934. But the Barleycorn pieces I have seen have only the head and not the full figure.
    And I know for a fact that Doulton made flasks and jugs that were sold with Whiskey in them, both for Dewars and more recently other brands.
    I have been to sales and seen Doulton whiskey jugs sold for prices varying between a couple of hundred to several thousand dollars....unfortunatly...I wasn't paying close attention to the images on the bottles.
    If you are selling, don't sell it quickly. Find a Doulton or Whiskey jug collector and get a knowledgable opinion.
    In face get several opinions.
    Linda C

• lulumom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you very much for all the advice. There is a marking on the stopper, but it is hard to read right now because it needs to be cleaned. Hopefully that will give us a bit more information. I'll try going to the library and see if I can find any info in the reference books.

Many years back my mother had a garage sale and a collector came along and he badly wanted to buy this flask, but my mother refused to sell it to him. That makes me think it is worth something.

• lulumom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There does seem to be a faint marking on the side of the jug that looks like a signature. It looks like "Nox", but sounds like it must be Charles Noke.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Yep...it's a goodie!!

• lulumom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The cork is made of silver and has some markings on it. Will it help in identifying the jug? So far I have determined that the manufacturer was George Betjenmann & Sons, and the date letter is either 1917 or 1942. I think the town marking is London, and there is also a lion marking.

There also seems to be a marking with an arrow. Does that mean anything?

• lindac
    13 years ago

Are you telling me that the lid is marked with the hallmarks for London Sterling silver??

• lulumom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, that is what it looks like. Does that mean anything or you give you any extra clues?

• lindac
    13 years ago

Ir means it's "very nice"....they don't put sterling caps on everyday jugs.
    I would guess the date to be 1942 rather than 1917...unless the cap isn't original to the piece.
    Linda C