Houzz Logo Print
emchouffe

Metal covered trunk

emchouffe
12 years ago

Hi everyone;

August 19, 2011
From August 19, 2011

Any info on this trunk would be helpful! It seems to be covered in a thin sheet metal, the hardware is Excelsior company Stamford CT. and I believe some of the hardware is either brass or brass plated. Haven't cleaned it well enough to see! Again, thanks for the help.

Comments (14)

• emchouffe
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Also, the second picture is of the interior paper liner.

• lindac
    12 years ago

The pictures are too small and blurry to show anything.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I know for a fact that metal trunks with excelsior locks are appearing in catalogues as early as 1902. Haven't found your exact trunk yet, nor have I had the time to go nosing earlier or later than that. The excelsior lock is a good dating tool, and must have been desirable because the ads emphasise them.

• emchouffe
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Calliope;

Thanks for the response. I haven't had any luck finding anything similar to this trunk either! I'm wondering what type of restoration work I should do on it. I will definitely be taking out the interior paper lining and refinishing the inside wood. Do you have any suggestions?

• emchouffe
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm also attaching a link to the album of pictures where they can be viewed on a larger scale.

Here is a link that might be useful: Larger pictures!

• emchouffe
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, here is the working link!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Larger Pictures

• calliope
    12 years ago

I really would think twice about doing any type of restoration to this. It could very well be over a hundred years old because that's about where I'd guess without checking further. At least hold off until you can get a value and better data to age. It actually looks to be in decent shape. Does it have the lift-out tray?

• emchouffe
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can find any more information on it. It does not still have the lift out tray, so sad!

• calliope
    12 years ago

I know collectors like to have the paper intact if possible. The tray (I'm assuming it had one) is also a big bonus as well as any labels you may find.

I am really time challenged right now to go browsing through catalogues but I could probably give you a ball park of when the metal versions were mainstream if not find a similar or identical trunk. As said, I know you could buy the metal ones with the excelsior locks as early as 1902. I found them. Does it have handles on the sides? Are they intact? If it does, or if there are any remnants remaining........ are they leather? Can you give dimensions? If I do go dragging out references, any details you can give me, or anyone else who might be familiar with these, would be helpful.

Better to give us too much info than have to keep asking for details.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Please do NOT do anything to the paper on the inside before you learn more. Removing it will most surely diminish the antique value.
    A magnet will tell you if your locks are brass or plated. Is the metal tin? Rusty?
    Keep it dry and open the lid, but don't do anything to remove the original finish.
    BUT...the value of the trunk is likely not more than $200....and if you will use it and enjoy it with the paper out and the metal scrubbed up and painted.....well go for it!
    I am more of a purist with the thought that if I want it to look like new Iw ill buy new.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: about trunks

• calliope
    12 years ago

Exactly!

• lindac
    12 years ago

You were posting and I was writing....LOL!

• emchouffe
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Guys;

Thanks for the responses. Here is some additional information:
    W=22"
    L=38"
    D=20"
    the lock is excelsior stamford Conn. 5985
    it did have what appear to be leather handles but they have subsequently come off.
    I believe the metal covering to be painted sheet metal (from the research I've done it seems to be made of steel and not tin). The paint looks like a brownish/red. There is some rust on the bottom and on the metal hardware.

I would like to get more info on it before I make any "improvements" to it.

• jemdandy
    12 years ago

It looks like a travel trunk with a papered interior. It may be 100 yrs old.