Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
egbar_gw

not a 3 headed dragon candelabra

egbar
10 years ago

We have had this brass candelabra for over 30 years, and I have no idea of its age (maybe the 20th century, I have no idea) It was found under the remains of a collapsed barn in Maine in the mid 1970's.
I finally spent some time the past few days researching it. Turns out it is not a dragon but a Wyvern, a two legged European version of a dragon... who knew?
At least that is what the confusing minimal information I could dig up on it seems, to me. He/she has 3 wolf heads, wolf paws, hair on most of its body, but a serpent neck and thorax (note only 2 feet!- this is why it is defined as a wyvern) and a serpent tail with a spade end (stinger?)
my research has been hampered by the popularity of dragon images and modern myths (as if the ancient ones were not confusing enough!). I have had a tough time wading through the dragon information out there. So to take another approach, I am wondering if anybody can recognize the type of brasswork? It was originally cast and the pieces are joined together, then stamped and marked to create the hair, feathers and small details on the
body of the creature and arms of the candelabra itself.
It may be European (Russia, Ukraine, serb) or may be Japanese. These are the 2 dragon myths I found which told of 2 legged 3 wolf headed beings. There is Cerberus as a 3 headed dog, but in almost all illustrations he was believed to have 4 legs. I found one 15th century image of a wolf head (single)which in style closely resembles the heads on the brass figure. I'll post more detailed pictures and the image I found. Hoping somebody knows their brass out there.

Comments (11)

• egbar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

shows how the body is joined from 3 major parts. the cups, spindles and holder portions of the candelabra were also separately made. Yes I know he is dirty... Hot Water would get rid of the dust and at least a portion of the candle wax. Somebody used some sort of polishing compound on him long ago because many of his details are filled in with white gritty stuff. People often get scolded because they have marred an original finish.. I don't know if this applies to brass or not. I am supposing he IS brass.

• egbar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

my what interesting paws you have! the break in his leg was like that when DH found him, it could have happened
    during his making. The opposite leg is a bit splayed, also pretty obviously original.... unless somewhere along the line he was dropped or squashed or otherwise dealt with violently (the roof of the barn caving in on him?

• egbar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

other side

• egbar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

picture from Wikipedia entry on European dragons

note this example has a wyvern body, but bat wings and not feathered wings, also has scales instead of fur.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

The closest match is Cerberus ... a 3-headed canine with a snake's tail and the paws of a lion. The wings are a bonus, I think.

From a technical standpoint, getting rid of the rear legs makes a tripod base, easier to balance after casting.

It's a lovely piece, but unless you can find a mark or a similar piece, it's going to be hard to date.

• egbar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

well I found its sister... pretty obviously the same maker and same time period whatever it is. The acanthus leaves at the top are pretty much the same, looks like it was sculpted by the same hand. getting closer!
    I will try to contact the owner and see if they have any idea what it is... probably not since the description with it is so sparse!

Here is a link that might be useful: where i found it rankin interiors

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I found it!

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8267811

"A 19TH C. BRONZE DRAGON-FORM CANDELABRA containing 3 lights held within sculpted dragon form heads. Remnants of gilt finish. Apparently unmarked. Height 12.25 inches."

Apparently dragon-form, Sphinx and medusas were popular.

• egbar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

note the difference between the two forms, batwings and lion head on the single candle holders,
    thanks Lazygardens!

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

It might be gilt bronze ... that's the expensive kind of cast metal.

Assume it is when you are cleaning, because gilding comes off very easily.

• egbar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yes, I had decided that was what it is, and I am glad I did not clean it.(yet) if you look at the sister candle holder you will see its finish is very marred compared to mine.. I thought maybe that was from having polished it too much. I will research how to clean this very carefully before proceeding. I would like to get the dust and wax off but not at the cost of that gilded finish! Thanks again for your help Lazygardens, it is a relief to have my questions answered regarding the pieces origins, finish, age and etc. I had never given much thought to that piece until recently and it was so frustrating not to be able to find the answers... the internet has spoiled me. There was a time I would have gone to libraries and searched for days, weeks, months and years. Even now, I was only frustrated in my search for a day or 2 (thanks to you!). What a difference for information junkies the advent of the internet and forums such as these is such a blessing.

• Erika Lucio
    9 years ago

Hi I know it's been a while so I don't know if you'll get this, but I have the exact same candle holders. Did you ever find it any more about them?