Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlescher

Limoges vs Royal Austria Question

jlescher
13 years ago

Hi all,

This is the 2nd thread I've started (Vista Pink) and I have another question. I'm not sure what to make of this.

I've once again posted the photos at photobucket: http://s1021.photobucket.com/albums/af334/rbmcgee/Limoges/

Note: the pictures are not in order so I'm referring to the label/title of the picture rather than the location of the photo in the list.

1) picture of a cup/saucer and a creamer that appear to have the same pattern.

2) A close-up of the pattern on the saucer.

3) A close-up of the pattern on the creamer.

4) A close-up of the maker's mark on the saucer which is the same as the one on the cup.

5) A close-up of the maker's mark on the creamer.

The pattern on the cup/saucer and the creamer doesn't appear to be similar, or close ... it is identical, however the cup/saucer maker's mark is "Royal Austria" and the creamer is "Limoges - France"

Any insights?

Comments (11)

• lindac
    13 years ago

The flowers on the cup and saucer and the pitcher are hand painted. During the early years of the 20th century, ladies took up "china painting" and took classes and bought "blanks" and decorated them. You have 2 blanks from different countries, but plain white that were obviously decorated by the same person....and I'll bet there is more in that pattern too...perhaps she was doing a tea set.
    Linda C

• jlescher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Very interesting.

F/U question. When I list these on ebay can I list them all together and note which ones are which manufacturer and then tell the story you just told me, or, do I have to separate them into separate auctions (Limges and Royal Austria"?

• Fori
    13 years ago

I think you should auction them together, with the relevant info.

And I've never seen F/U used as "follow up" before...just as...well...gee I need to grow up. :)

• someone2010
    13 years ago

I guess lindac knew it meant follow up. She didn't post back; "same to you."

• jlescher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, I've picked some short-hard lingo

IIRC - If I recall correctly
    BTW- By the Way
    FYI - For your information
    F/U - follow-up
    and my favorite,
    ROTFL - Rolling on the floor laughing.

• lindac
    13 years ago

ROFLMAO...!!!
    I also had never sees that used for Follow Up....when it has the other meaning it's usually missing the back slash.
    I would list them separately unless you fuind more with that pattern.
    Lots of people collect tea cups and don't want a pitcher and lots of people collect pitchers....me for example!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    13 years ago

Yes, that looks like the hand painted china that was so popular in my grandmother's day. She painted a lovely set of dessert plates, with a different color scheme and different flower on each plate. Those were a hoped for inheritance by many of us cousins and her children too.

• pris
    13 years ago

If I'm understanding correctly, I just learned something new here again. (it happens all the time) Are you saying that Limoges and Royal Austria made these blanks and they were decorated by crafters of the day? I would never have guessed that.

• lindac
    13 years ago

That's what I said....
    And not only Limoges and Royal austrian but many other companies as well.
    And often the pieces were signed, and some were considered better painters than others.
    It was a hobby craft, much like needle point and embroidery...just another item of "Womans art".

Here is a link that might be useful: china painting.

• pris
    13 years ago

I knew that china painting was a popular craft but didn't know that companies like Limoges and RA would put their mark on an item that someone else would decorate. Is there anything in the mark that indicates it's piece of china decorated by others?

• lindac
    13 years ago

Some people signed their works....sometimes on the front like a painting and some times on the back.
    Here are some examples....but the seller seems not to know that it was pretty much an American hobby.

Here is a link that might be useful: hand painted china