Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlescher

Mason's Vista Pink - Identify Items/marks

jlescher
13 years ago

Hi everybody:

I have recently inherited a ton of collectible china and am planning on offering it up on ebay. Much of it is Vista Pink. While searching for info on the line/items, I ran across this site and thought I would ask a question because you do seem to have Vista Pink experts.

This is the link to my photobucket Vista album : http://s1021.photobucket.com/albums/af334/rbmcgee/Vista/

In order to properly list my items, it would be helpful if I knew what each item is and a little about the maker's mark. The mark photo is designated (A) for the appropriate item.

Any insight or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Comments (14)

• lindac
    13 years ago

I have a meeting...but I'll be back. Can't tell you what certain things are without knowing size....
    Looks to be in very nice condition.

• texasredhead
    13 years ago

I would be interested in items 1. 3 & 10 if they are all part of a soup turine.

Tex

• jlescher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi all, thanks very much for your input. Helps a lot.

What I've learned:
    1) The tray (3) is actually part of the tureen (1) and it fits perfectly.
    2) (2)? is a trefoil relish dish
    3) The saucers don't go with the egg cups (redo that picture)
    4) (11) is a Bruges Salad Bowl.
    5) (7) is a Sweet Meat dish (whatever sweet meat is)

Add'l info:
    1) The "fancy bowl" (6) is about 10.5" diameter
    2) The ladle (10) is not to the tureen. The tureen has its ladle in the picture (tough to see). This ladle (6.5")is much smaller than the tureen ladle (11"+)and I'm not sure what it matches up with (Note: I have a lot more Vista pink that is not pictured. Perhaps it goes with one of those other pieces?)

Does anyone know that the platter with the spike in it is? The plate is about 11" and the spike is about 4"

• lindac
    13 years ago

Sweet meats are....whatever! LOL! I have a catalog somewhere from the early 1960's....and that's what it was called. There are lots of different shaped "sweet meat dishes".
    I suspect that thing with the spike is a cookie tray. It's not in my catalog,
    If that ladle doesn't fit the soup tureen I'll bet you have a gravy tureen some where.
    If you have all 4 pieces of the soup tureen....be aware that is a very high ticket item!

• jlescher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, thanks lindac.

Yes, I have all 4 pieces to the tureen (ladle, lid, tureen, tray). When you say "high ticket", how high do you think that ticket goes? Would this be the most valuable Pink Vista piece?

I will list the spike tray as a cookie tray until someone calls me a liar.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Probably...I can't think of a higher ticket piece.....the wedge cheese dish is pretty high....but not like the tureen....with all 4 pieces.
    Do the research before you list it.

• texasredhead
    13 years ago

On ebay, the complete turine set is going as high as $400.

• lindac
    13 years ago

I can't find any listings on ebay even in completed with all 4 pieces.
    I am guessing in a high end shop that would have a price of $650 or more.
    Back when they were still making that piece, before Mason's was bought out by the conglomerate, it was selling for $250...all 4 pieces.
    But...as they say, worth is what someone is willing to give you for it.
    Linda C

• jlescher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Once again thanks everybody for your help. I now know enough to be dangerous. I will probably be starting the auctions in 2 weeks. My ebay userid is jlescher8724.

BTW, are there any experts here about any of the following collections:
    LeMieux china
    Spode china
    Selb Bavaria china
    Limoges china

I have posted some samples at the following photobucket album: http://s1021.photobucket.com/albums/af334/rbmcgee/old%20china/

It isnÂt possible for me to show all the pieces (far too many  hundreds, if not thousands) but in general, is there any insights insofar as rarity/value or marks or tips about any of these lines? Once again (A) is the piece and (B) is the mark of the piece.

I'm thinking this exercise may take me decades.

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

Regarding the small ladle: Mason's made a smaller gravy/sauce sized tureen that's a minature of the soup tureen. It has a matching underplate & apparently a ladle, judging by yours. I don't have 'Vista' but I have both size tureens in 'Manchu'.

• lindac
    13 years ago

That's what I said...I have the smaller one.
    Lucky you....do you use the tureen? The big one?

• sweeby
    13 years ago

I sometimes troll ebay for Selb and Limoges -- But sadly (for you), it's mainly because the sales prices are so low for these gorgeous dishes...

• jel48
    13 years ago

jlescher, you have a beautiful collection there!

If you want a ballpark figure on the value of your dishes, check the link below. My husband and I collect Mason's Vista Pink as well as a few other patterns. When we bid on Ebay we always check the Replacements site first. We admit to being bargain hunters and will try to stay below 60% or so of what is listed on the Replacements. We do pretty good and win our fair share of auctions, so I think that would give you a good ballpark figure of what you might expect on Ebay, so long as your items are in good condition. Of course any chips, cracks, or excessive crazing is going to effect the value as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Replacements site for Vista Pink