Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two Teapots - Help with marks

Posted by doris104 (doris104@verizon.net) on
Sat, Aug 27, 11 at 12:50

I have these teapots, not sure how old they are, but they are very interesting and nice looking. I can't seem to locate the makers mark on either of them. I was hoping that I could get some help here.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two Teapots - Help with marks

The brown one is simply marked Japan....can't tell for sure but it's likely about 1950.
The other is a mystery to me....no idea about that mark nor the style of the pot.
Linda C

o

LindaC: If it were 1950 wouldn't it say "Occupied Japan". In 1921 they were obligated to identify the country of origin in Western words, i.e., Japan, not Nippon. I'm guessing (and really, just guessing), 1921 - 1940. I have to say, I do get confounded by Japanese backstamps!
Annie

o

Ok....so make that 1951....when the Occupation ended.
My opinion was based on the style.
Also know that nothing is absolute...there were things brought back by tourists not marked in a way for export.
It also could be earlier....but not likely later. It's sort of a non traditional shaped brown Betty.
Linda C

o

1952 ended the Occupation. Nope, I'm guessing earlier. But just a guess.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here