Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wkate640

Market for Victorian and Empire furniture?

wkate640
11 years ago

I am cleaning out a relative's home and it's all either Victorian or Empire furniture in good to fair condition. Is there any market for that these days? Some of the chairs are probably still filled with horsehair. I'm just not sure what to do with it.

Comments (10)

• antiquesilver
    11 years ago

It probably depends on what you have & where you're located. If you're in an area where there are historic neighborhoods you shouldn't have a problem. Due to the size, local sales are your best bet as the cost of shipping would be prohibitive.

• texasredhead
    11 years ago

Consider Craigslist if you are familiar with this venue.

• wkate640
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all. The house is not far from an historic district so will consider a local sale. Unfortunately no one can be available for Craigslist buyers to stop by and look.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Is there a local auction place that does non-reserve auctions, or a consignment place? At this point, the Victorian, Empire market in my area--particularly for pieces of Civil War era and after is almost negligible. Maybe $50 for a chair at auction, or $75-100 in a shop if it is in decent condition. (unless it is an important identified manufacturer)

• User
    11 years ago

I wish you were in Iowa. I bet you have something I want! Sofa? Cupboard that I could use as a pantry? OH, well. I'll keep looking here.

• wkate640
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll check on local auctions, palimpset. Lov, I bet I do have something, but the shipping would cost more than the value of the piece, I'm sure.

• User
    11 years ago

That darn shipping. Gets me every time! But it's hard to find the things that speak to me. Not everything does. True antique furniture is still out of my price range here. I need something like this little cabinet.

And I would really like to find an "old" sofa. Not 1970's old; 1870's old!

And feast your eyes on this ice box! It would be perfect for canned goods storage. http://masoncity.craigslist.org/atq/3254013073.html

Here is a link that might be useful: little cupboard

• igloochic
    11 years ago

If you are considering selling the home, consider keeping the items to stage the home with. New buyers might or might not want it but it would stage nicely. Feel free to post pictures if you would like and those of us in the know can tell you if it's something special in advance, otherwise I myself would be happy to just suggest uses for them in staging (I'm a bit of a pro there).

• wkate640
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lov, there's nothing like that cabinet in the house. Anything that could be used for storage has more carved wood and glass. Igloochic, some others have suggested we leave the furniture in the house for staging because we are definitely selling the house. I think we will probably end up doing that, i.e. staging. If I were more high tech and had more time, I'd post pix, but sadly, I don't.