Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I keep/store old newspaper clippings?

Posted by folkvictorian (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 12:14

I have a box of old letters and newspaper clippings from my dad and grandparents' families. I know I need to store the items in a cool, dry place, but I'm wondering if I can do something to preserve the newspaper clippings of weddings, death notices, etc. Can these items be laminated (at the UPS Store or Fed Ex Store or wherever) to preserve them? Some of them are nearly 100 years old. Would the plastic and heat from the lamination process destroy them?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I keep/store old newspaper clippings?

Your best bet is to scan them and store them on a CD or on a hard drive. Laminating them just makes them look worse and it won't last forever. If you scan them, then everyone in the family can have a copy.

The originals can best be preserved with a acid reduction spray.

Here is a link that might be useful: Storing old clippings

o

I have also read that you should dip them in a solution of milk of magnesia and distilled water and spread on a towel to dry. The reason news print crumbles is the excess acid in the wood pulp.
Linda C

o

Thank you, Ideefixe and Lindac, I really appreciate it! I feel like I should have a cartoon thought-bubble above my head that says "Duh!" -- yes I will definitely scan the clippings. We have a copier/scanner/fax and I've never scanned anything, so it hadn't occurred to me. Duh indeed! I'll also get some acid-reduction spray; I never knew there was such a thing. I'll also look into the milk of magnesia recipe - who'da thunk? Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here