Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old jar

Posted by norar_il (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 29, 10 at 11:52

This is my first attempt to upload a photo onto this forum, so please be patient with me.

I have an old Mason's jar, clear blue, stands a tad over 9 1/2 inches tall (maybe a 1/2 gallon size?) and has a patent date on it. It has seams and bubbles in the glass.

My questions are: Is the jar as old as the date on it? If not, about how old would it be? Does it have any value other than a neat looking vase for large flowers?
Nora

Here is a link that might be useful: old jar

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old jar again

Well, that didn't work! Trying again.

Here is a link that might be useful: old jar

o
RE: old jar

The date on your jar is when Mason patented his invention of the canning jar. Below is a link to wikipedia's Mason jar page- lots of interesting info, but keep in mind that it is Wikipedia, and subject to any info someone wants to post. (Not always accurate...) Your jar looks pretty old. Your pic doesn't show the jar opening. Does it have a channel for wax to seal the lid? If so, it would be an older model.

Here is a link that might be useful: mason jars

o

No channel. It's for a screw top, but there is only one twist round. Thanks for the info. I'm like you seem to be -- pretty wary of Wikipedia.

o

There are many ways to date an old mason jar...by the seams, the top, if it's ground or polished, the style of lettering, just to name a few.
Somewhere on the WWW is a site that gives very detailed info...but unfortunatly I can't find it again!
This is a start though.

Here is a link that might be useful: old Mason Jars.

o

Here is another link that might be helpful. You can even contact this guy to get more specific information.

Here is a link that might be useful: another site

o
found it..

The site I was looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dating fruit jars

o

I thank you both very much. It looks as if I have a jar made sometime between 1890 and 1930. Not valuable or highly collectible, but it's neat to look at and a fine vase for big, long stemmed flowers!

I really appreciate the research tools you gave me and found pretty much exactly what I wanted to know. Now that I figured out how to post a picture, I most likely will be asking for more advice on other things. I have this really neat little soldered mesh purse . . .

o

I consider it a neat old jar. Be a neat container for all sorts of stuff, especially fresh or dried flowers. None of those fake flowers. As a boy growing up, my mother and grandmother canned all sorts of things. She also made all sorts of jams and sealed the glasses with wax. You aren't going to get rich off that jar so just enjoy it.

Tex

o

Discovering the story behind an old item is what makes me enjoy antiques and collectables! If something is in perfect condition I'm more apt to sell it because it was probably stored or displayed behind glass and never actually used. I like the stuff that shows the patina of use- ghost stains on linens, crazing on pottery, worn paint, tiny chips and dings...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here