Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mystic47

Help me with this Antique Mirror

mystic47
13 years ago

Hi,

I would like to sell this mirror - I know nothing of antiques and would like help to describe the mirror. It measures approx 37X30. What would be a good asking price. Thanks for your help

Pat

Comments (12)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    13 years ago

Is there damage on the bottom right of the frame? The glass is not beveled, so as someone who might see it in a shop, I don't think it is antique at all.

• lindac
    13 years ago

All antique mirrors didn't have beveled glass. I have 5 mirrors dating from the mid to early 19th century and none are beveled.
    I would say perhaps around the turn of the century, gilt with gesso trim.
    Whatever you do don't spray it with gold spray paint!
    Can't say anything about $$...need to see a close up of that lower corner and a picture of the back.
    Linda C

• mystic47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, it doesn't have beveled glass. Someone gave me this mirror about 30 years ago and it was already old. All four corners and the top are in excellent condition. The glass itself has some black marks on it. The back of the mirror was covered in parchment paper and the paper was torn off when it was gifted to me. I know it was purchased at an antique shop or auction back then. Here is a picture of the corner in question ..Many thanks for your help

Pat

• lindac
    13 years ago

What does the back look like now...particularly the back of that decorative piece on the top.

• mystic47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your time Linda - here is a pic of the back of the decorative piece and then one of the whole back
    Appreciate the help

• lindac
    13 years ago

It's nice....the top ornament is wood backed...the frame is wood with gesso trim. My guess is 1910 to 1930.
    Why are you selling it?
    Linda C

• mystic47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Linda - I downsized from 4000 sq feet to 1500 sq feet and I really don't have room for it. I have tons of good artwork and would rather have that on the walls.

Appreciate all your help. Think $100 is a fair price?
    Pat

• Fori
    13 years ago

But think how much mirrors open up the place! :)

It's very pretty yet understated...are you sure you can't fit it in the powder room?

• mystic47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now you have me thinking Linda - it is a shame to "give it away". My husband is reading your responses and before opening this thread, he said the same thing. Are you sure we can't use it? LOL - I will let you know what happens. We have another place South Florida and I am second thinking if it could work above my desk in the office?? Problem is that it's a Tommy Bahama Desk - but the walls are a avocado green. The gold would look great against the green...but I am not so sure with the two styles?
    I would give you a pic but I don't have the desk yet.
    Thanks for your help
    Pat

• lindac
    13 years ago

I think it would be great with the Tommy Bahama....a bit of the unexpected is a good thing.
    I was thinking how lovely it would look in a powder room....1/2 bath....thinking maybe dark walls....and that mirror like a shiny gold ring in a jewel box.
    $100 is giving it away.
    Linda C

• mystic47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well Linda, they lost my post. I replied about 1/2 hour ago and don't see it. Basically - I am keeping the mirror and dragging it down to Florida. Thanks so much for all of your help.
    I have a small powder room that could use some help and will see how it looks over the desk.

Appreciate this newsgroup so much and all the help out there in the web world.
    Pat

• lindac
    13 years ago

Glad it will have a new home....and that you are not just tossing it out without trying it in different places.
    Linda C