Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Antique dining chairs?

Posted by kdonstar (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 10:25

Hi

I found a set of 8 dining chairs in a local shop and am thinking about buying them - are these antiques? An anyone shed any light on them and what you would expect to pay? The seller wants 600 GBP but is including upholstering them in that price (although not the fabric). The condition is not perfect (see photo).

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Antique dining chairs?

Converting GBP into US $'s means those chairs are costing $930 for 8 chairs.For that price they should be perfect.

Reupholstering them yourself is not a difficult DYI project if you are totally gaga over them, but not at the price the shop is asking.

I'm guessing the chairs are from the 50's..

o

Those are nice chairs, but you wouldn't pay over $200 in the San Francisco area for them. I'd guess 1940s to '50s also, and I could be wrong.

o

1940-50s Chippendale-influenced? The knotwork on the slats is both French and Chippendale. Probably walnut or "fruitwood". Old, but not "antique". My mum's era, not great-granny's.

They are nice chairs, but not great antiques, especially if the "not perfect" includes any wobbles. A set of 8 is rare. They usually were split up, damaged or lost. He could probably make more by selling 2 sets of 4.

What would similar chairs cost new from a mid-range shop? That's your starting point for negotiating a price. Is 75 GBP a good price for a chair? And do you really need 8 chairs - if so, getting 8 might warrant a higher price.

Here's a UK Craigslist ad: http://london.craigslist.co.uk/atq/3949543208.html 800GP for 8 vintage chairs (2 closely matches sets of 4) so it's not unreasonable in your area.

That sort of seat is a doddle to reupholster, so you might offer 65 a chair and do it yourself, since he's not including fabric. 4 screws hold a padded piece of wood to the base. Remove the screws, remove the faded velvet, and staple on a new cover. Take the time while the seat is off to give them a good polish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here