Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
antique dresser made into a kitchen island

Posted by kitka (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 23, 09 at 10:19

I would like to make a kitchen island out of a vintage dresser or buffet. (First need to find something). Has anyone tried this? Not sure what to make the top out of. I just need a narrow island and I would like to paint it black, but I have never refinished anything before. Would love to see pictures if anyone has done this. Would also appreciate any tips/hints.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: antique dresser made into a kitchen island

You might want to post this on the Kitchen forum.

o

If you are going to put a new top on it and paint it black....why do you want an antique dresser?

o

I like the idea. See the photo in the link for some inspiration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dresser turned into island

o

I'am sure you don't want to hear this....but that doesn't look like an island made from an old dresser but rather a table that moves around. That base and the legs look very out of place with the rest of the piece, the placement of the handles on the drawers is odd and the top looks too too big for the base.
How about something like the table linked below?
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Old table

o

Thanks everybody. I was thinking something like in the website shown below, with a vintage buffet or dresser painted black (rubbed/distressed). I need it painted and not stained in order to work it in with my kitchen decor.

Here is a link that might be useful: painted vintage buffet

o

I've seen some antique pieces made into bath vanities and really like them. Could be cool making an island - like your inspiration, kitka!

o

I know someone who did this, all that was necessary was camoflaging the back of the dresser, and she used some beadboard for that. Came out great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here