Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Want to sell Precious Moments figurines

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 8, 05 at 9:46

I have some Precious Moments that go back about 20 years that I would like to sell, but don't know how to go about it. I have the original boxes for some, but not all. They are all in excellent condition. Can anyone help me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Want to sell Precious Moments figurines

Ebay is the place!
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: precious moments

o

Try http://figurines.icollectorbazaar.com/preciousmoments.shtml

Here is a link that might be useful: E-bay alternative

o

We have about 700 Precious Moments figurines with over 100 signed by Sam Butcher including the Original 21. This is just for information. Spend some time on Ebay if you want to get a true picture of the value of many collectibles.

Also, this is not a resale board. Don't you know it is an appraisel board.

o

LOL!!!
Love it!!

o

hi i have more than 60 figurines for sale and all are well kept and have never been display. u can view the pics from my website at http://gacsyt.blogspot.com interested parties can contact me at eclair_gem@hotmail.com thanks for browsing

Here is a link that might be useful: caudia precious moment collection

o

Claudia-- the horror of Precious Moments aside, this isn't Craiglist. Don't post ads here.

o

rofl ideefixe..."the horror"...

o

I have 32 Precious moments to sell. They are in boxes and have never been displayed. They dare from 1979 to 1992.E- Mail james 152@peoplepc.com.

o

If I had any they also would "never have been displayed".

o

I find it interesting that every poster wants to sell...n o one is looking to buy!

o

I envision some way future society digging through trash pits and uncovering Precious Moments and Thomas Kinkade paintings. Shouldn't pick on any collectibles - there's no rhyme or reason why people love and collect what they do. Aside from "speaking to the heart", I think there was also the lulling into thinking it was a way to ensure not ending up in the poorhouse in old age or just the ticket to send the kids off to college.

Surprise!

o

And I'd like to add De Grazia big eyed children, Avon bottles and "collector's plates". And P. Buckley Moss is somewhat of that genre too.

o

Hey! I have collectors plates!!

I don't know why my mother thought I should have them. They are Star Wars plates. They are the most ridiculous things ever and make me laugh. Star Wars? On plates? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. They are not for sale!

My mom has a peculiar sense of humor.

o

I envision some way future society digging through trash pits and uncovering Precious Moments and Thomas Kinkade paintings.
Oh, and don't forget all the Beanie Babies...lol

o

It was Margaret Keane who did the iconic big eyed children. DeGrazia seems to be some kind of Western pop-artist; his eyes are largely black holes.

Oh my, collector plates. Push comes to shove at least you can have your sandwich on one. Try living in your Dept. 56 Dickens Village!

The collectible market was ruined by the makers who just got greedy - and I really don't care what it is - Dept. 56, Hummel, Lladro, Beanie Babies, Thos. Kinkade, Bing & Gromdahl (you name it). Start out with a limited number of pieces each year, get people hooked then flood the market with more new pieces than any right thinking person could keep up with, let alone spend tons of money on. Then the bottom falls out.

Discretionary money is drying up for much of the bric-a-brac world, so you might as well love your stuff since unloading it for more than pennies on the dollar is going to be a challenge.

o

My kids have some Beanie Babies brand stuffed toys. They're actually pretty nice stuffed animals. As toys.

I'd heard that Kinkade went under and I was delighted, but it really felt special to go by his "museum" in Monterey last weekend and see the historic building was available. I hope it gets repainted with something tasteful. It's a nice old house.

o

My friend who had a booth at an auction mall said when the beanie babies were all the rage: When something is SOLD as a collectible, it ISN'T a collectible.

o

I once visited the Franklin Mint store or headquarters or whatever....
Oh MY!! Cases and cases of expensive crap!
Then a few years back a friend was going to downsize and have a sale to get rid of lots of stuff. She wanted me to come and give her an idea of what some of her stuff was worth. She didn't agree with the estimate the auctioneer gave. She had a "whole series" or some sort of collector plates, all in original boxes, with the papers etc etc....going on eBay for perhaps $3.00 per plate...
She still didn't believe me, she paid $20 and some per plate and KNEW they had to be worth more for the complete set....with original boxes....
NOPE!
Linda C

o

I have to admit to having sets of plates that cost $20+ per plate, but I liked them when I bought them and still like them. One set is hanging on the kitchen soffit, and when I tire of them I will change them out to another set.

I see one is listed below for $40, but wonder if any ever actually sell.

Here is a link that might be useful: Second issue in the Flowers from Grandma's Garden Series by Glenna Kurz.

o

Using is fine. If you display your Precious Moments and enjoy them, it's not "collecting cuz they're collectible", it's just having things you like. OK, I still might laugh at you a little, but not as much as if you have them in a box hoping they'll get some value.

o

Like fori, I tend to take a realistic approach to "stuff" - my own as well as anybody else's. I firmly believe no one will love your stuff as much as you (generic) do.

It came home to me a long time ago when a friend got caught up in the Dept.56 village craze. It was like bizarro world with the club atmosphere - having your name registered with an authorized dealer to purchase new pieces, no selling on the secondary market unless at an authorized swap & sell, snitching to Dept. 56 if you discovered someone trying to sell on the secondary... on and on. Buying two of everything so you could really cash in, making sure the extreme packaging (outer sleeve, fitted styrofoam to cradle the piece, plastic bag to put the piece in before nestling it in the styrofoam then carefully sliding on the sleeve) remained as pristine as humanly possible. I attended a few of these swaps with her and these otherwise lovely people talked about the pieces like they were real. I also went with her on a couple of the Christmas walkabouts - or whatever they're called. It was collecting gone wild. I think some people had as much invested in Dept.56 as they had in their house.

I admit to having 7 pieces of the Dickens Village - they were b'day and Christmas gifts from this same friend who forgot she already had more than two of them. I also admit that I enjoy the few I have; they do make a cute holiday display. I do not want any more - ever.

o

I'm not familiar with the Dept 56 collectibles. I will have to look them up on eBay.

o

blueheron - I'm surprised you've escaped Dept 56 in a gift shop near you, but can certainly understand when one is not interested in something, one hardly notices it. Google Dept 56 first before going on ebay.

In defense of Dept 56 - they do put out some clever Christmas ornaments every year. Since I have plenty of Christmas stuff, I allow myself one new ornament under $6.95 every year and the ones I'm drawn to are Dept. 56. Instead of in boxes on shelves, they're usually on the trees that shops decorate - you pick off the tree. And they're just perfect for hanging on the evergreen swag I usually wire up for the fireplace.

o

I think the only collectibles that may actually appreciate in value are stamps and coins but not ordinary stuff.

Basically, anything produced in tens of thousands will likely not even hold the value of what you paid for the item. The latest thing with Precious Moments is limited addition pieces, maybe 2,500 or so. Up front price on some of these is $200-$300 per piece.

Duluth pretty much hit the nail on the head. Not many folks have a lot of extra money to spend on high priced collectibles, especially with 10 million people out of work just trying to hang onto their homes.

o

Maybe if you're lucky enough to have the 1 cent "Black on Magenta" of British Guiana. Yes it's true some stamps and coins are rare, desireable, and expensive, but the little collections started then abandoned to albums or drawers generally are not going to net you much. A serious collector with deep pockets to begin with - well, that could be another story.

People will always argue that they have or they sold this that or the other for this amount - but that doesn't mean everyone will.

All collectible lines do limited editions- in some cases limited means the number of people willing to buy them. "Retiring" pieces is another trick to make those who didn't get it the first time go nuts trying to get one at any price.

o

I googled Dept 56 and I recall having seen them in gift shops, etc. Never bought oany, though.

LOL ideefixe - "the horror" Agree wholeheartedly.

o

Personally, I'd organize a trap shooting party and use these little things as the targets. I think they're hideous, but there's no accounting for taste, as my granny said when she kissed the cow.

o

Too funny. I had a cousin who also mentioned "target practice" when his wife came home with boxes of "inherited" crap from one of her dearly departed relatives.

There is no reason for why we love what we do. I'm accepting of that. What I do have trouble with is the tenacious hold onto the belief that it's all valuable. Antique malls are filled with somebody's attic junk - and most of it remains unsold.

At least I don't have friends and relatives who send out Thomas Kinkade Christmas cards. Gotta love those little cottages with every window ablaze with light, every chimney billowing smoke... if you look real close, all the trees and shrubs are still blooming too.

I'm sorry; that's going to offend somebody.

o

must see 200 and also 21 orignials

o

And don't forget the paintings of the dogs playing poker! Talk about "the horror." Gag me with a spoon.

o

Hi. Twenty-five years ago or so, I started collecting mint stamps which Post Canada would send me every month. When I enquired as to their value, I was told that they were worth their face value. I use Internet to pay bills and send five letters a year. So I used them as postage when selling stuff on Ebay and was able to get my money back. And now I have cookie stamps, never used, and they hardly sell on Ebay. And my collection thimble which sold for a quarter of the price. And I was forgetting my Barbie dolls. Seems all this to be a bit of waste of money.

o

I see everybody on here is trying to sell. Well, some of my family members through several generations have some precious moments that are very old and in great condition. I was wondering if anybody can help me figure out what they are worth once I have more detailed information?

o

CoreyJay....Precious Moments only started selling ornaments and figurines in late 1978. See link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: History of Precious Moments

o

My kids, now in their late 30s and early 40s loved Pound Puppies and Beanie Babies as toys. I bought them when they first came out at reasonable toy prices and they loved them and played with them. Never bought the overpriced ones.

o

Cabbage Patch Dolls? Of the millions sold, did any survive in the box? You NEVER know what will end up being worth anything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here