Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tell me about this table

Posted by nosoccermom (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 9:41

What kind of wood? How old? How much would you pay for it? It comes with 3 leaves.

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 16:23

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tell me about this table

From the pictures you show ... it's brown wood and 1920-1940 era

The center leg is a good feature if you plan to extend it - provides center support.

Price? The pictures do not show the condition of it, or if the wood is solid or veneer, so it's impossible to suggest. What wold a new table of that size sell for?

o

Well, supposedly it's solid wood. I'm just trying to figure out what kind of wood it might be. It doesn't look like oak, as far as I can tell.

o

From the shape of the legs, I think it may be mid-Victorian and possibly walnut. Could we get a close-up of the wood grain? It looks like it accepts leaves in the center; shots of the mechanisms that allow it to expand -- slides, latches that keep it closed, etc. -- would also be helpful.

o

I'm thinking about buying it, so no further close-up. Supposedly, it comes with five 1' inserts in the same wood. To determine whether it's veneer or not, is the best spot to look at the side of the table where the drop leaf attaches?

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 17:23

o

The best place is probably a side view of the inside of the top when the table is pulled apart (to insert leaf).

o

How much do they want for it?

o

Asking 100.00.

o

$100!!!!!! Good grief! You can't get a folding table from Walmart for that price.

Buy it, polish it up and use it happily.

o

That is an astonishing bargain. Buy it NOW!

Please let us know if it is still there when you go back to get it.

o

$100 with 5 leaves?? Take it!!

The grain and coloring looks a lot like that of my CR maple set, so there's another wood guess.

o

Someone beat me to it :(

How about this one? It's 82" without the additional leaves. All one piece (except the leaves).

o

The second one is oak veneer from the 1970-90s ... not as nice and a lot newer.

But if it fits your decor and budget, buy it.

o

Thanks, I was hoping it was a French oak parquet table.
Will just wait for another table.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here