Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

Tell me about this table

nosoccermom
9 years ago

What kind of wood? How old? How much would you pay for it? It comes with 3 leaves.

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 16:23

Comments (13)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

From the pictures you show ... it's brown wood and 1920-1940 era

The center leg is a good feature if you plan to extend it - provides center support.

Price? The pictures do not show the condition of it, or if the wood is solid or veneer, so it's impossible to suggest. What wold a new table of that size sell for?

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, supposedly it's solid wood. I'm just trying to figure out what kind of wood it might be. It doesn't look like oak, as far as I can tell.

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

From the shape of the legs, I think it may be mid-Victorian and possibly walnut. Could we get a close-up of the wood grain? It looks like it accepts leaves in the center; shots of the mechanisms that allow it to expand -- slides, latches that keep it closed, etc. -- would also be helpful.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm thinking about buying it, so no further close-up. Supposedly, it comes with five 1' inserts in the same wood. To determine whether it's veneer or not, is the best spot to look at the side of the table where the drop leaf attaches?

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 17:23

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

The best place is probably a side view of the inside of the top when the table is pulled apart (to insert leaf).

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

How much do they want for it?

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Asking 100.00.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

$100!!!!!! Good grief! You can't get a folding table from Walmart for that price.

Buy it, polish it up and use it happily.

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

That is an astonishing bargain. Buy it NOW!

Please let us know if it is still there when you go back to get it.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

$100 with 5 leaves?? Take it!!

The grain and coloring looks a lot like that of my CR maple set, so there's another wood guess.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Someone beat me to it :(

How about this one? It's 82" without the additional leaves. All one piece (except the leaves).

{{gwi:1388363}}

{{gwi:1388365}}

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

The second one is oak veneer from the 1970-90s ... not as nice and a lot newer.

But if it fits your decor and budget, buy it.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, I was hoping it was a French oak parquet table.
    Will just wait for another table.