Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dating this Eastlake pier mirror?

Posted by jlc102482 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 9:16

My boyfriend and I have been looking for an Eastlake pier mirror for a long time, and finally found the perfect one yesterday at the antiques mall. I'd like to date it, but the designs on it have me confused. The antiques dealers knew less about it that I was able to tell just by looking at it, so they were no help.

It's approximately 8 feet tall and has a Carerra marble slab (don't know what to call it) at the bottom. The designs along the side are typical Eastlake, but there are also some Nouveau-ish poppy type flowers as well. The top is interesting, as it has a fan finial at the top with a dog or wolf's head on either side of it. Kind of hard to see in the photo - each head is facing outward, away from the fan. I am assuming they symbolize something, but I can't imagine what.

I was originally thinking it was 1875-1885, but now I'm thinking that might be too early. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks so much for taking a look!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pier mirror 1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dating this Eastlake pier mirror?

Pic of the finial at the top:

Here is a link that might be useful: Fan and dog/wolf head finial

o
RE: Dating this Eastlake pier mirror? third pic

Here's a pic of the base:

Here is a link that might be useful: Base

o

I think you were right on with your estimate. It's a wonderful mirror!

o

Thanks, lindac! I think it's more Eastlake than Nouveau, which is why I was thinking it was more mid-Victorian than late. I have wanted one of these for so long - I can't wait til it comes home today! "Home" is an 1859 Victorian so I think it will be very comfortable there. :)

Would anyone like to take a stab at the symbolism (if any) of the dog-wolf heads on the finial? They almost look like Scottish terriers. I've never seen anything like that on Victorian furniture, let alone Eastlake stuff, so I have no idea what to make of it.

o

Not nouveau....
I don't believe there was any symbolism...it's just a couple of dogs. If it were roses or birds would you have wondered about symbolism?
Yep....needs to be in the front entry of that 1859 house....and to serve as a place to set your "reticule" while you button your coat and to see all the way down to the bottom of your skirt.

o

I'm so envious - I have an 1858 house where this would be perfect in the hall. Enjoy!

o
RE: Datin g this Eastlake pier mirror?

I don't know a lot about Victorian symbolism, lindac, other than the fact that the Victorians were rather into it! I just thought that dogs were an unusual ornament for a piece of furniture, and that perhaps they were put there for a reason. I've never seen dogs on a piece of Eastlake furniture before, I thought it was interesting. Even if they don't mean anything, I still think they're pretty cool. :)

Thanks, antiquesilver! I am SO excited about this piece. I just got word that it arrived safe and sound at home, I can't wait to see it in place tonight. We had to set it up in the dining room because our entryway was a bit too small to comfortably accommodate it. Still, it's between two large (98" tall) windows which I understand was the usual place for a long, narrow mirror so I guess it isn't horribly inaccurate to put it there. As long as it's someplace in the house where we can see and enjoy it, I am happy!

o

Congratulations! So nice.

Are you sure they aren't lion heads? I can't tell from the picture. When you get home, get a stepladder and a good camera and take some better pictures to share please! :)

o

I'd say 1883-84. I minored in Eastlake/aesthetic movement in college. LOL
Casey

o

Casey, that is the coolest major EVER!

Here are some more photos of the mirror! You'll have to excuse the cat - he is under the impression that we have just purchased him a very large, very expensive cat throne.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirror 1

o

Here's the top. Are they dogs or wolves, and is that a fan or a peacock tail?

Here is a link that might be useful: Top of mirror with dogs

o

The box on the ground are two pieces of trim that go at each top corner. I have to give them a good cleaning and get some shims under the mirror before I can put them up. Our floors are over 150 years old and not exactly level!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirror 2

o

Well....it's a cinch that you will never have to dust that marble shelf!!
Great mirror in the perfect spot!

o

I think the heads are feline and not canine.

o

It's even more beautiful in your home - & the cat just makes it perfect! FWIW, I think the heads are feline, too. Maybe that's why your cat is so drawn to it.

o

How did my cat get on your mirror?
Petey enjoying himself
Casey

o

Casey, that is TOO funny! If your cat is a Bobtail then I think we might have a couple of cat siblings on our hands. And wow, what a great floor you have!

It's funny, looking again at the animal heads on this mirror, I think they are feline, too! No wonder the cat thinks the mirror is his throne... :)

o

Those are wildcats, not dogs, a popular Scottish motif.
http://s.bebo.com/app-image/8113434974/5411656627/PROFILE/i.quizzaz.com/img/q/u/08/04/17/Bobcat-Lynx.jpg

And that looks so PERFECT in that spot, cat and all.

o

The mirror was meant for that spot! Too funny---cat throne! Congratulations on a magnificent find!

o

I'm relatively new to this forum but I just wanted to comment also. I think it's positively Beautiful! How wonderful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here