Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
proper name for a piece of furniture

Posted by chickadee__3a (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 22, 10 at 8:58

In the early 1950's my mother had a piece of furniture in her kitchen that was about 4' high by 4' wide and had a drawer at the top and bottom and had two glass doors. She used it for dishes, cutlery etc. I am trying to find something similar to use at our cottage, but don't know what it's correct name is. Can anyone help?
Thanks so much for any info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: proper name for a piece of furniture

Could it have been a dining room sideboard repurposed into the kitchen? The glass doors throw me though. They were not common in lower doors like you describe.
Maybe it was a credenza.
Casey

o

I would second looking for a credenza or perhaps a server.
Linda C

o

I found this one by googling "vintage kitchen sideboard".

Here is a link that might be useful: vintage kitchen sideboard

o

Tasymo, your suggestion gave me the idea to google around so I went to "google images" and discovered it is an art deco hutch. When I googled that, two images came up in the first row. So at least now I know what it is. Now to find one!
Thanks all for your help.

o

Hutch, Kitchen Cabinet, Pie safe

o

Hoosier maybe would work & is very practical!

o

Why won't you name it related to your name? Or to your relatives? It doesn't need to be related with the design itself but be more practical in way that you would appreciate more the item.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sell antique furniture

o

Annabelle, I'm not quite sure I understand your question (if it was directed at me), I was trying to find out what this particular piece of furniture was called so that when I went into an antique shop I could at least ask for the item by name. Now I know it is a kitchen hutch/cabinet made during the Art Deco period.

o

Annabelle's just trying to direct traffic to her web site...

o

Is it a commode? We had a little cabinet my mom called the "red commode" - it was painted red...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here