Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tricia560

My 'new' dresser

tricia560
13 years ago

We found this piece at a consignment store and had to have it. It looks like the top is a birds eye maple veneer...just gorgeous. It has labels on the back that indicate it was made by the Ottawa Furniture Co, Holland, Michigan and sold by a company in Ohio (we bought it in Michigan) but no indications of a date.. Maybe 1920s? Can anyone give us a better idea? Was $250 a good price for it? There are some issue with the veneer in places cracking and chipping, but I think signs of having been used and enjoyed add character, and we couldn't have found anything new this nice and well built for that price, so I think we did ok, but it's our first large antique.

And more pressing, is there anything special we can do to clean it? When we take off the mirror yoke, there's a distinct ridge of build up along the back edge, and the wood hidden by the yoke is MUCH lighter in color then the rest of the top. We don't want to strip the finish, just clean it and lighten it up a bit, but we're afraid of ruining it.

{{gwi:1388259}}
{{gwi:1388261}}
{{gwi:1388263}}
{{gwi:1388265}}

Comments (2)