Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
letsgodiving

Antique Pottery - Or are they?

letsgodiving
15 years ago

Does anyone know what kind of pots these are, and if they are antique? I do not know how to publish the photos, but have added a link on the bottom of the page for you to review. Thankyou for your help.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (8)

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

They are salt-glazed and my gut feeling is that they are new. Any maker's marks on them anywhere?

Annie

• letsgodiving
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What is a makers mark, and where would I look for it.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Because of the value and popularity of old salt glazed potterry, there are many reproductions. The best I have found are from the Williamsburg Pottery.
    These are new and don't look like serious reproductions to me.
    Just salt glazed pots, decorated in the old style.
    Pretty, but new.
    Linda C

• shyan
    15 years ago

The normal pottery from china don't have value as a antique, collectors only looking for those high quality pottery specially for royal family.

{{gwi:1388238}}
    I bought this secondhand hotel lamp at RM250, nice but not antique.

• triciae
    15 years ago

Your crocks are not antique American stoneware.

I'm posting a link to Bruce Waasdorp's upcoming stoneware auction because I know this company having purchased from them many times. You can browse around & see how different early American salt-glazed stoneware looks compared to yours.

Some names to watch for are Norton, Crolius, and/or Charlestown (Carpenter). There are many makers. Not all stoneware is marked. In general, decoration may supercede age & maker in determining value. But, as with most everything...not always. For instance, a 1798 Crolius ovoid jar with incised cobalt swag & tassle decoration 'might' bring less than a mid-18th century Norton 2 ga. crock decorated with a cobalt deer & trees assuming condition is similar with both pieces. Stoneware collectors vary a lot in what they're looking for...so it's impossible to say for certain, "this piece will appreciate more than that piece". All-in-all, American stoneware has held its own quite well thru this general downturn in antiques. The 'peak' was in the mid-90's. A highly collectable Norton cobalt peacock will still bring well into the five figures.

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Early American Stoneware Auction

• bakerbetty1955_gmail_com
    13 years ago

hi i am betty baker from jackson mississippi. when my dad and mon past away thay had this pottery. my sister has it now.we would like to know if we can get something for it.thank you betty baker

• bakerbetty_gmail_com
    13 years ago

hi i sent you message and i have not heard from you please let me know something.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Betty....this is a board....not a "
    person".
    From the information you gave, no pictures no description no opinion can be given.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH