Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherry Dining Room Set, circa 1930

Posted by dadredd (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 12, 10 at 7:46

I trying to locate the stylr of this set and ultimately establish its value. Does anyone have any information? Pictures of the set can be seen at the following location.
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/atq/1893954817.html
Cherry Dining Room Set, cica 1930, excellent condition, some minor scratches.

Dovetail drawer construction, hardwood

Table 72" with 12" leaf x 18" x 30"
Buffet 39" x 18" x 32" (4 drawers
China Cabinet (lower) 58" x 20" x 32" (8 drawers)
China Cabinet (upper) 56" x 41" x 36" (cur glass doors, 2 shelves x 3 bays)
6 chairs

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherry Dining Room Set, circa 1930

Well it's not 1930's...more like 1960. I would call it mid century modern.
Sorry, can't say what to ask...it comes down to what would make you pleased to sell it for.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Dining set

o

Definitely not 1930s ... look at the legs on the China Cabinet and they are the mid 60s "modern" ones.

Nice set.

o

Probably worth more than a 30s set too. I like it.

o

thanks

o

Good point Fori. Mid century modern is a pretty hot item now. I am of the age, I suffered through it as a kid/teen. My folks picked some Danish modern items up when we lived in Europe and brought it to the states. I always looked at it with a jaundiced eye. I have definitely rethought keeping those pieces now because I imagine they are worth more than some of the twenty/thirty something pieces I always preferred.

o

Ok. So it is Danish modern 1960's -- right? How do I price it for sale. I know what I paid for it used in 1975 but the wood and finish are beautiful (needs some minor finishing). I love the set but my new wife likes another style. I cannot keep it until my 21 year old marries (hopefully I long time away) and I hate to give it away for nothing.

o

If the 21 year old likes it....put it in storage for a few years. Kids don't have to be married to need a table and chairs....
I am guessing it would be worth about what you paid for it.
Linda C

o

I'm sorry I didn't answer sooner. I'd say Linda is pretty close with her evaluation unless you are in a market where mid-century modern is especially hot now. It's not deflating to know it is probably worth what you paid for it in 1975, because that was probably a good amount and hey, how many things have you used for thirty five years you can turn around and get reimbursed for and it cost essentially nothing?

I'm not going to stick my neck out and say it's Danish Modern, but its styling is pretty close and I've seen some authentic Danish modern Hutches of that era with almost identical design. Danish modern has been around since the forties and it's not usually crafted in cherry. But, I love cherry and that would be a selling point for me.

I had a 'waterfall' bedroom suite when I was a senior in high school. I detested it, because it wasn't old enough to be collectable then, nor new enough to be stylish. I was thrilled when we moved and it stayed behind. LOL. But, boy would I love to have it now. I guess what I am saying is that good furniture is always in style eventually or to somebody. If people would actually pay what it's worth, even out of vogue good sets would hold their value compared to the mostly composite sets you'd spend a lot of money for now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here