Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

What would you call this...

Posted by moonshadow (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 18, 11 at 7:02

They are calling it a Hoosier cab. (Not like any Hoosier cab I've seen.) I'd call it a washstand. And the ones I have seen with a tile 'back splash' are often labeled as English. What do you think?

Front view the top is cut off, but can be seen somewhat in the side view pic.
The wood looks like it needs some TLC.
It's about 5' tall, 3 1/2 ' wide, 2' deep

I hope you can see the pics. If you see double I'm using two different lines of code, for some reason last time I posted photos I could see them in Preview but they didn't all show once posted.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: What would you call this...

I agree with your definition.

RE: What would you call this...

Whoever called it a Hoosier never saw a Hoosier cupboard! What's the counter top made of? marble or porcelain?
I Agree. It looks like an English wash stand.
Linda C

RE: What would you call this...

Appreciate the replies. ;)
linda, they said it was granite. Those aren't the greatest pics, but my hunch is they were mistaken on that & it's marble.

Any idea of a date? The scroll work on the top is hard to see, but might be helpful. What I've seen with tile is usually a Victorian style, sometimes into Arts & Crafts, occasionally Edwardian. It doesn't look ornate enough for Victorian, does it? So maybe it's later?

RE: What would you call this...

I have it's almost twin....but with out the cupboard below, just a shelf.
I bought it about 35 years ago at one of those antique auctions where someone would go to europe and buy and fill a crate then come back and auction it off. The crate that my piece came from was from England, they said and by what else was in it I agree.
What I have learned is that those sorts of stands were often found in hotels and small inns as a wash stand for guests in the early part of the 20th century or latter part of the 19th.
Linda C

RE: What would you call this...

Yes, most of the ones I've seen are like yours, without a cupboard underneath. I find them more appealing than the traditional, all wood wash stands. Appreciate the input!

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here