Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
layla123_gw

Triple Mirror Flips The Wrong Way

layla123
10 years ago

Hi everyone, I am new here.
I bought an old mirror and I am guessing it's mahagony? And around 1920?
I've cleaned it and polished it up and it looks lovely, but the mirror flips the wrong way. You can move it the correct way but it doesn't stay, yet if you move it the wrong way - it stops in place.
Is there a way of fixing this? I can't see that there was any 'stop' at the back or anything, I am guessing it just relies on the metal hingey things (photographed).
Any info. much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (12)

• layla123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm not sure if my images are too large, but it took ages to load. Here is a snap of the bracket.

• User
    10 years ago

You mean it shows your feet?

The metal "hingy thingies" will wear out. You could try removing them and swapping sides or turning them upside down.

• layla123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had to read your post twice, yes I get what you mean it tips the wrong way and shows your feet!

Thanks for the advice, I could swap them over - I am worried about damaging though.

• Fori
    10 years ago

That's so pretty! You have lovely taste. Wish I had room for one. My feet are my best attribute so it would be perfect for me! :P

Do you need it to be tilted to use it? I could see fixing it in the vertical position and calling it done, but it wouldn't be as cool as having it function properly.

I wonder if it WAS taken apart once and the hinges reinstalled backwards. It's odd that both hinges are misbehaving in synch.

• mfrog
    10 years ago

Does it show your feet because it was made for a shoe store? I think it is functioning properly. mfrog

• layla123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fori - Thanks it is a pretty mirror and I got it for peanuts! I took all the old polish off, cleaned it up, and polished it back to it's former glory :-)

mfrog, I don't think it was designed for a shoe store!

Anyway, all fixed!

I lifted the main mirror off the bracket then I stared at it for ages.

Eventually I unscrewed the bits left on the mirror and swapped them over, and...it worked!

There was a lot of head scratching - but got there in the end.

Hoorah! I am very happy thanks lazygardens you are a star most bright.

• User
    10 years ago

Layla ...
    the bill is in the mail :)

• layla123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All bills go straight in recycling box ;-)

• sunnyca_gw
    10 years ago

I love it!! Glad you got it fixed the way you like, now if you ever really get into shoes you know how to "fix it" LOL Enjoy, it's lovely!

• layla123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Sunnyca.
    Does anyone know If it's walnut? Mahogony? I am no good with woods. And what about date - I am guessing 20s?

• Fori
    10 years ago

It really looks mahogany-ish to me. I have a bunch of mahogany veneered stuff from the 1940s and it looks just like that. (Not to say that your mirror is from the '40s, although it could be. But that's a stain color that was popular on '40s mahogany.)

• layla123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Fori, when I first picked it up, I thought 30s, but then I saw a similar one dated 1910. I think you are right.

K

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH