Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these tiles worth anything?

Posted by scw211 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 1:41

Just wondering if anyone knows if these tiles are worth anything. We're pulling them out of a high end home built in the 70's. It's going to be demo if not. None of the pictures are repeating.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these tiles worth anything?

I believe they are Delft. Aren't they beautiful? I have six Delft tiles hanging in my dining room that we bought when we visited Holland many years ago. They are individually hand-painted and have been made in the same way Holland for hundreds of years.

I have no idea of the value. If it were me, I would try to save them. I think it can be quite tricky to get tiles off the wall intact, though.
Liz

o

Wow! I never even come to this forum, but the topic interested me. You know how new posts come up on the side.... So you click...

Tiles are really hard to get off intact. I know when this home was remodeled a year ago, I wanted to save one flower from the kitchen tile (master bath has the same tile) to take with me shopping for the master bath. I BEGGED the guys to do that. It was just impossible, or they were just trying to do the job to quickly. I ended up piecing one tile together for my decorating board.

You may need a real expert to get those off intact.

Good luck. They are really nice, but not my style. I bet someone would pay a lot for them.

o

But they probably are not antique or special. You can buy them in many places.

o

They do look like Delft tiles, but I have no idea of their value. When removing them, first remove the wooden molding around the fireplace. Then, using the widest blade you can find, work the blade behind the tile and give it a sharp hit with a hammer. If you work slowly and gently pry each one from its backing (which will probably be replaced anyway) they should come off intact. Mostly. : )

o

If they are antique, they could be worth a lot, maybe $100-$150 each. If recent vintage, $20 each.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here