Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Antique lithograph stone?

Posted by notitfortat (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 10, 10 at 0:04

Found this at a yard sale a few days ago and had to have it. It's a litho stone or some kind of stamp for the 1924 Lon Chaney film 'He who gets slapped'. Maybe for printing lobby cards? It's about 6'x8' and weighs 20+ lbs. Try as I might, I can't find another one like it or even similar to it online. I am hoping that someone here might know a little more about it. Thanks!

Not sure if the pic will show up here so if not, here's a link.

[IMG]http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/podunktx/stone.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a link that might be useful: Litho stone

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Antique lithograph stone?

It's not a Lithograph stone...but perhaps one for some other printing method...
What's it made of? Is it stone?
Lithograph is done on the principal that oil and water don't mix, this is a srone with an image cut in...like a wood cut perhaps...
It's neat!!

o

What a great find!

o

Copper plate. maybe. That was the typical method of offset printing in the old days. They'd engrave a copper plate mounted to a wood backer, so it was the same thickness as the rest of the type, and it would get blocked into the page of newspaper type and printed off. I have a couple of these, much smaller, though.
Litho stones were used, re-ground, and used again until they were too thin to be ground down again. They could be nearly any thickness since they were used by themselves, not in a rack of type.
Casey

o

Thanks everyone! I'm not sure what it's made of. That is part of what I'm dying to know. It has a couple of chips in it where it looks sort of shiny and metallic. It's not magnetic. I don't know if these pictures might help.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here