Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thunderstick_gw

Restoring old wooden beer keg

Thunderstick
10 years ago

I recently acquired an old wooden beer keg that I would like to cleanup and display. The keg spent many years in an old barn so it is quite dirty. The wood appears to be unfinished oak. I know I should balance between cleaning it up and keeping the 'patina' but I think the wood does need a good cleaning.

Any recommendations on what I can use?

Comments (9)

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

Don't know what you should do for cleaning. You do need to retain the patina.

Your keg is wonderfully marked on the bottom. No guess work needed here. Both the business name and city shows.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I'd scrub it with a soft brush and mild detergent soap to get the barn crud off. That will not change thge color or remove any finish.

Let it dry in a shady spot and see how it looks.

Wax the hoops with a paste wax to keep them from rusting any further.

• Thunderstick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have already tried a brush and water but will definitely try some mild detergent. I'll keep in mind the idea of paste waxing the hoops. The hoops and nails are in remarkably good condition at this time. One of the hoops is missing 2 nails but I've lined up somebody to make a couple replica replacements.

Here is another view of the keg. I talked to the author or a book on Kansas City beer history (Goetz was in KC also) and he said it was a 7 3/4 gal keg.

• Thunderstick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Both ends of the barrel are well marked with this end having a tap connecting device that was patented in 1921. The keg also has 2 holes in the side; one obviously for filling the keg and I believe the other was an original location for the spigot. 1921 was in the middle of prohibition so I'm guessing that the tapping device could have been added to the keg later.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Keep in mind that these were not intended to be anything more than a beer holder, made as cheaply as possible.

• partst
    10 years ago

Be careful with the detergent it may fade the lettering..ask me how I know

• Thunderstick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, but I'm sure it won't fade this lettering. It's actually cut into the keg.

• Thunderstick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, but I'm sure it won't fade this lettering. It's actually cut into the keg.