Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mystery dish

Posted by neatomosquito (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 23:43

Hi. My sister and I were wondering if anyone knew anything about this plate. On the back is a sketch of a covered wagon with an "E" and an "R" on the wheels. All my cousin could tell us was that her mom used it for appetizers. I couldn't figure out how to post two pictures in one post so I will post the picture of the reverse in a separate post. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mystery dish

Reverse of duck plate. I have searched google images etc until my eyes bled. Any and all hints would be appreciated!!

o

I'm thinking an appetizer plate, too. Those holes could hold picks with chunks of cheese... and maybe veggies on platter?

o

could anyone recommend somewhere to look this up? How do I find who made it? any history?

o

Looks California to me....perhaps search California potteries marks.

o

I think looking California is a good idea too, especially considering the style and mark.

o

Covered wagons don't seem very Californiaey to me!

o

That's how a lot of goods and people got there in the Westward expansion, before railroads.

o

I realize that. But it's not a quintessential California thing. It is not a symbol that makes one think CA. Oregon, sure. CA, no. CA is more associated with surfboards, mission bells, 49ers, oranges, clippers, suspension bridges, twenty mule teams, etc.

There just isn't that association between CA and Conestogas that many other states have, fair or not.

o

You might want to look into a company named Ebeling Reuss. They are an importer who is located in Pennsylvania. They have just many, many marks on the wares they moved, most all of them have E&R somewhere in their marks or lables, often in addition to the marks of the actual producers of the pottery they were selling. They did not produce pottery themselves. I've seen labels with crowns, and E.R., Shields, liberty bells,but all have the E.R. somewhere in their labeling. Have done a little search, but none with covered wagons. It's a stretch, but they have moved a lot of pottery through the years.

o

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll let you know what I find out.

o

I agree, it's california. But there were hundreds if not thousands of them active in mid 20th century. Most were small, obscure and short-lived.

it may help your search to know this is not a chip/snack dish. it's a flower bowl. short stemmed flowers or large blooms such as a mophead peonies would be floated on the shallow water. the holes in the base of the figurine is a flower frog. stemmed flowers would be held in place by inserting them in the holes.

usually the flower frogs are separate - and usually lost on vintage pieces.

o

the dish is too shallow to be a flower bowl...way too shallow. My great aunt used it as an appetizer dish...what you call a flower frog is attached to the plate...and the holes are only big enough for a toothpick...

My Mom thinks her aunt bought it at a craft fair/or something similar in St. Augustine, Florida. But her husband was an antique dealer so..who knows.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here